how do i claim my money back

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonesy17

hi there could some one please help me ASAP.

On friday 17th October my brother changed his car insurance over from his old car to his freinds car and had to pay an extra £250.00 onto his insurance, He compleated the insurance over the phone.
On saturday 18th October he was pulled over by the police and asked to show his insurance certificate, he explained that he only got the insurance the day before and told them to contact the insurance by phone, but it was a saturday and the insurance company was closed. The police then took his car away and put it in a compound.
On the monday20th October when my brothers insurance documents arrived he took them to the police station were the police made it as hard as they could for him to get back his car but had no choice as he had provided all the docuements that they wanted.
Anyway he was then charged £280.00 to get his car back from the compound.

I dont understand why he had to pay all this money when he done nothing wrong.

Who is to blame? the police or the Insurance company and how would my brother claim this £280.00 back....... Please help

jayjones17@hotmail.co.uk

Hmmm... let me ask you one question that may provide you with your answer - is the compound owned by the government or is it a privately owned facility? That amount is still a punitive amount, even if just for "parking" a car temporarily. My guess is that there is an office that regulates motor vehicles, where you got the car registered. I am sure they deal with questions like this all the time and perhaps someone there can give you a good insight.

help

can any one else please help in the above matter? and yes the compound was goverment owned, please help as this amount of money has ruined his christmas plans and its no fault of his own

You need to start out and find out what gave the government the right to seize the car. In the US there is a requirement to have documents in your car, not having them somewhere. There is a logical reason for this. Unless there is a provision to allow you to get your money back upon proof of documentation (I'm not confident this will exist), then you might not have recourse in getting your money back. Why don't you start by calling the insurance company about the law and requirements with regard to the conversation that was had - better yet, have your brother have another conversation with the insurance company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back