Naturalization, Citizenship How do get US citizenship if I was born in the states?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chamala

I was born in Texas but we moved to Canada when I was very young. I've lived in Canada for 20 years now and I have Can citizenship. Now I am looking to do graduate studies possibly in US and so I'm thinking of moving back. What should I do? What steps should I take to get the easiest time when I apply for American schools?

If you were born in the U.S., i think you are a citizen no matter what. I mean dont you have a U.S. birth certificate?

If you were born in the US you most probably are a US citizen (the only exception would be if your parents were diplomats or something similar).

You can take your US birth certificate to the nearest US consulate and apply for a US passport

Ok, I do have a US birth certificate. So all I have to do is go to a US consulate and apply for a passport? How does the fact that I'm currently a Canadian Citizen complicate things?

It should not complicate things. The United States basically acknowledge dual citizenship nowadays. Unless at some point in the past you have expressively stated that you do not want to be a US citizen anymore (or did any of the very few things that automatically make you lose citizenship) you should not have problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back