How do deal with a mentally unstable tenant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gladiator

Thanks for taking the time to read this post.

I live in New York City.
We have a tenant upstairs that is mentally unstable. For the past couple of days she would slam things on the ground at 6AM, 10AM, 12PM and other various times of the day.

After two consecutive days of this, we called the police but when they arrived she would blatantly lie saying she dropped something on the floor and hence made the noise. Both our neighbors can prove her instability, she would yell and scream in her room with no one there.

After we called the police, she has been pretty quiet but playing other 'tricks'. Say leave the water in the bathroom running, and when we are outside she would yell and cuss at us.

How can I get this person out of the house? There has been no rent disputes, there is no lease or any papers of that matter. Thanks

Oh, this is a very very tricky situation. I assume you are the landlord?

New York City laws protect tenants very extensively and it is very hard for a landlord to evict a tenant. First thing you should do is record all incidents as extensively as possible, by video, signed statements of witnesses etc etc.

Then you should consult an attorney who is an expert in landlort-tenant conflicts because in NYC Housing Court you will probably have to have such an attorney to prevail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back