how can i garnish a tax return?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mvalkema

hi! i hope you can help.. i won a small claims case for $3000 a year and a half ago, and the def. has not paid responded at all. i filed to have his wages garnished a year ago, but he was a waiter and made too little in paycheck form- tips couldn't be taken of course. anyway, i now have his social sec. # and want to know how i can get his upcoming tax return. i also want to know if anyone knows about the 3 times the judgement law, does it exist in michigan? do i have to pay to get his address at one of these online sites, or is there a place that you can get it free? i've searched for days online. anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated, it is definitely not forthcoming from the courts here in michigan! he just keeps ignoring this and i think he's going to get away with it and it's unbelievable! thanks again,
martha

the 3 times law does not apply here. That mainly applies to the labor code in which an employer does not pay wages to an employee.

I don't believe you can go after his tax return but you might be able to put a levy on his bank accounnmt, but you would need to see an attorney for that.

You can also see about filing a lien and it will attach itself to any property he owns or buys in the future.

Tax garnishment

I was surprised to learn that tax garnishment (of either state or federal funds) is more difficult than it sounds.

I made an accidential overpayment ($1600) to my contractor and he is now evading me in regards to this matter. $300 included in that overpayment was for work he has not completed. I have done some research online with regards to my options of filing with a debt collection agency, having a lawyer's letter written, and going to small claims court. Even if I won a judgement from small claims court, enforcing it seems to be difficult as the contractor has no property or assets except his business goods which are exempt, and he is self employed. I thought I would be able to garnish his tax returns but it seems only government agencies are able to do this. It appears my only recourse would be to take a judgement letter from small claims court and have his business license revoked which would prohibit him from working in the city. It doesn't get me my money back but makes it more difficult for him to earn income.

I had also done research to see if his actions constituted grand larceny or breach of trust with fraudulent intent which are both felony criminal charges.

I am frustrated that as an honest, hard working, tax payer that there is not a better avenue set up in the court system to go after these deadbeats. Any thoughts, suggestions or advice would be welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back