1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

how can i add new service to my business

Discussion in 'Starting a Business, Incorporation' started by dinhphan, Mar 9, 2020.

1. dinhphan

dinhphan Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    Kansas
    Hi,

I have my own painting corporation about 20 years. Now I want to do roofing, but I do not want to close my current business. That means I want to do painting and roofing. In another words, I want to add roofing service to my corporation. Can I do that? If yes, how can I do that?

2. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

Sure, you can do almost anything you want to do.

There's nothing to it, but to do it.

You won't need a state license to become a roofing contractor in Kansas, you must hold a roofing contractor registration certificate issued by the Kansas Attorney General in order to do work on either residential or commercial projects in the state.

This website is where your journey begins:

Roofing Contractor Registration - Kansas Attorney General Derek Schmidt

These are the regulations a roofing contractor must follow:

Roofing Contractor Registration - Kansas Attorney General Derek Schmidt

Now get out there and make lots of money, sonny.

3. zddoodah

zddoodah Well-Known Member

I don't know about Kansas, but in at least some states, roofing and painting require different contractor licenses.

Beyond that, it doesn't appear to me that your post raises any legal issue, but I certainly recommend conferring with a local attorney about your plans.

4. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

You will also want to get your commercial insurance adjusted to reflect the additional risk to liability and workers compensation that comes from the roofing exposure.

Talk to your commercial insurance agent and include him/her in your planning stage.

PayrollHRGuy likes this.
  5. Tax Counsel

Tax Counsel Well-Known Member

You may do both activities in the same business, but you will need to ensure that you have the necessary licenses that may be required for each activity and you'll want to have insurance to cover both. Whether you should do them in the same business or operate two different businesses for it depends on how you want to do the business and what risks you run in doing each. It may be worthwhile to discuss this with a business attorney in your state.

6. PayrollHRGuy

PayrollHRGuy Well-Known Member

You will see a significant increase in the workers' comp premium for wages paid for roofing work. Be sure to talk to the carrier and see how you will need to segregate payroll between painting and roofing work.