How can family protect itself from a minor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

superdmon

Dear "TheLaw" Community,

I am writing because I really do not know where to turn. I need to know if there is anything I can do to help protect my family (wife and 11 year old daughter) from an abuser. My situation is very different than the norm because the abuser is my wife's 15 year old son (I'll refer to him as "Jay") from a previous marriage. In short, we raised him together from the time he was 3 until 13. Right around age 10, he began to change. It started off with little things like compulsive lying, disrespect and then moved on to trying to forge my signature and setting small fires, which we were unaware of, until his room almost went up. I had him charged with misdemeanor arson and he did serve some probation time and was admitted to a local youth hospital. He was diagnosed with a mood disorder and was required to see a therapist. We were able to take him to therapy at least once a month, it's all our insurance would cover, but nothing seemed to help. He continued getting into trouble (both at school and home) and had become more aggressive towards his mom. After weeks of enduring a downward spiral in his behavior and him trying to physically assault me, we had a group discussion with the therapist and "Jay" that our only choice would be to send him down to his biological father in florida if we did not see any improvement in behavior. We were at our wits end. Therapy wasn't working, medication wasn't working and "Jay" kept becoming more aggressive and disrespectful.

Shortly after that conversation with his therapist he went into school and was overheard saying he had a gun. This came one day after the local high school had a gun threat. We were able to locate his father, who agreed to try and straighten him out, so we sent him down to see if it was a change of environment he needed. In all honestly the stress almost killed my wife (his mom). Right before all of this happened she had been diagnosed with a failing aortic valve, which had been stable with only minor degeneration. With all the stress he caused, her valve started failing rapidly, and a few months after sending "Jay" to Florida she had to have the surgery to replace her valve.

Things were at least tolerable for his father and step mother for almost a year and he started the same types of behaviors with them. He has only gotten worse with his aggression towards women and started living away from the home with "friends of friends", strangers really. He is currently in a runaway shelter, but he will be getting out soon and is supposed to return back to his father's house. They have made comments to us on the phone about just "sending him back up here on a bus". My wife, even though her surgery was successful still has very severe reactions to stress: crippling chest pains / headaches, and has been placed on anti-anxiety medication, which doesn't seem to help that much. I can not allow him to hurt our family anymore, but is there anything I can do???

Thank you for any advice or suggestions you may have.

Hoping to find help,

SuperD

it sounds like this poor child is probably feeling a bit unloved at the moment. Is he on medication? Is he a candidate for medication? Its possible that the mood disorder is a chemical imbalance. My life was somewhat out of control until i began medication almost 10 years ago. I feel 'Normal" now. Consider talking to someone at childrens services in your county to see what free or low cost options are available for a psychiatrist.

it sounds like this poor child is probably feeling a bit unloved at the moment. Is he on medication? Is he a candidate for medication? Its possible that the mood disorder is a chemical imbalance. My life was somewhat out of control until i began medication almost 10 years ago. I feel 'Normal" now. Consider talking to someone at childrens services in your county to see what free or low cost options are available for a psychiatrist.

Sorry, but maybe I did not explain our situation fully. During the 10 years "Jay" was in our care, we raised him with love and compassion. When there was bad behavior there were consequences, when there was good behavior there was a reward system. When "Jay" started with his behavior issues and they got out of control he did see a therapist and was also on two different types of medication prescribed by a psychiatrist. His behavior escalated while in therapy and under the medication. We poured our heart and soul into helping him see the error of his ways and his self destructive pattern of behavior, but all we got were lies. "Jay" to this day will state that he does not need help, and therapy and psychiatrists are nothing but BS.

One major reason we sent him down to Florida with his father was because of the abundance of state funded facilities where he could get treatment. Thankfully he is now in such a place where they can get the ball rolling. Please understand that he left this family physically, emotionally and financially drained. We had to draw the line when he started to get physically aggressive towards my wife and daughter.

So back to my original question. I'm looking for some legal advice on how I can protect my family if his father decides that "Jay" is not worth his time and sends him packing. I can not afford to put my wife and daughter in any more danger. There are a bunch of organizations that are well equipped to deal with child abuse, but when it is the teenager being abusive towards the parent or family, this is where I've found the law, and options to be extremely lopsided.

Is it possible that I could file a order of protection against "Jay" since I am not his biological father? My wife also talked to his old school counselor today and she stated that since the state of Florida is now involved in his case, for his father to put him on a bus would be considered abandonment and we should contact the authorities immediately if he were to suddenly arrive back in town.

Appreciate any advise or answers,

SupD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back