How can anyone in the US safely have a blog on WordPress.com?

Jasiznws

Jurisdiction
Other
How can anyone in the US safely have a blog on WordPress.com since if you have GDPR issues you don't get any warnings or chances to fix it and instead go to prison and become a felon?

I imagine it's legal once the appropriate court has decided that they should go to prison.

Really, there's no way we can give any better guess in answer to your vague and hypothetical question.

I'll play along - who in the US has been arrested for violation of GDPR?

The General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679 is a regulation in EU law on data protection and privacy in the European Union and the European Economic Area. It also addresses the transfer of personal data outside the EU and EEA areas.

You might wish to speak with one of the fine attorneys that choose to practice within EUEEA.

You could also speak with an attorney somewhere within the US state from where you reside.

As a licensed attorney practicing within the United States of America I know nothing (nor do I wish to know anything) about the laws of the EUEEA.

Yeah how is it legal for people in the US who have a blog to go to prison for the EU GDPR law?

It all depends upon what you are alleged to have done, said, or allowed to be posted on your blog.

In fact, depending upon what is alleged you've done, you might also end up being prosecuted for violating certain US federal and state laws.

Good luck.

How can anyone in the US safely have a blog on WordPress.com

I don't understand what "safety" issue you think exists.

if you have GDPR issues you don't get any warnings or chances to fix it and instead go to prison and become a felon?

Huh?

I googled "GDPR," and it seems to stand for "General Data Protection Regulation," which is a part of EU law that wouldn't apply to folks in the U.S., unless they are offering goods or services to persons in the European Economic Area (which wouldn't seem to apply to a blog operator). Even if it did apply to a person in the U.S. with a blog, it's not like some EU authority can simply swoop into the U.S. and take that person to EU prison.

how is it legal for people in the US who have a blog to go to prison for the EU GDPR law?

Why do you think it is or that it's something that could happen (especially in the manner you described)?

Is GDPR even a criminal offense in the US?

No. It's not anything in the U.S.

How can anyone in the US safely have a blog on WordPress.com since if you have GDPR issues you don't get any warnings or chances to fix it and instead go to prison and become a felon?

You seem to have some misunderstandings about the GDPR. The European Union General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is a regulation that protects the privacy and data security for citizens of the EU using internet sites and services. The GDPR is not a criminal law; the EU may suspend a noncompliant internet site or service and may impose (sometimes huge) fines on violators. But you don't go to prison for violations, and the EU does usually start off by warning sites that are non compliant before whacking them with fines. And only those sites offering services to EU citizens are covered by the GDPR. If your site is restricted to offering services only to those in the U.S., for example, you are not affected by the GDPR. The issues are the same here regardless of what service — wordpress.com or any other — hosts your site. By the way, using wordpress.org rather than wordpress.com (and the two are different and run by different companies) might be the better choice if you are offering services to the EU as it apparently has tools available to make it easier for you to be GDPR compliant.

Bottom line is that regardless of where you and your site is located, if you have a site that provides services to people in the EU you need to understand the GDPR and follow it to avoid getting sanctioned for violations, including getting hit with serious fines.

Back