Security Deposit House fire not my fault. Do I get my sec. dep. back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Torn

The house I was renting was in a fire. It was not my fault & that has been confirmed by fire dept. & landlords insurance company. There was damage to this unit some I could have fixed (missings screens, hole in wall, living room painted poorly) then there were some things I couldn't (security front door gate that neighbors xgf did, carpet damaged by my cats) Long story short I never got final walk through because they gutted out the unit and want to deduct $750 from my security deposit. I asked for copies of lease because I paid a pet deposit also. Main question can they charge me for damages when their home insurance company is paying for the repair of the same damage? Also they are new owners, this happened like 3 weeks after escrow. They have been good to me but everyone is saying it is wrong. I only wanted $200 more than they want to offer me but its still $500 less than total deposit, which again no one thinks I should be charged any deductions. (no I didn't have renters ins either & I tried to make it short sorry)

If they refuse your offer, you take their counteroffer, or you sue them for what you believe is the difference.
Only a court can assess liability.
You may not have been at fault, but you may have been negligent.
If you sue, that's what a court will decide.
Frankly, fighting over $200 isn't worth it to, especially if I (or someone I loved, or a neighbor) wasn't harmed or killed.

CA requires the landlord send you a list of damages and deposit withheld within a certain period of time. If you do not agree with the amount, sue him for the deposit. As the apartment burned and you unable to do a final walk through, the court will asses the evidence they provide and you provide and render a decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back