Hotel Rate Change at Check Out

DC77

Jurisdiction
Hawaii
Hi All, we're hoping for some quick help. We're having issues checking out of a hotel. We stayed here under a discount rate for a week. We went in and asked if we could stay 2 more days and how much. The gal said she could extend the room and that she would give us the discount rate for those additional days. Now that we're checking out, a new clerk is saying she was incorrect to do that and is charging an additional $177. If the other clerk messed up that shouldn't be on us should it? We agreed to the lower rate and would have probably gone elsewhere had we known there was a higher rate. If there was an error it should have been brought to us sooner and given us the option to leave. Not wait until check out to surprise us. We are in HI. Is there anything we can do??

Realistically, if you can't negotiate your way out of it, then you'll need to pay it and work your way up the chain of command after you leave.

If the other clerk messed up that shouldn't be on us should it?

Do you have what the other clerk told you in writing?

If not, you'll have to pay the charges today, and beef the overages later.

To do anything else could result in your arrest for "stiffing" an innkeeper, or whatever it is called in the islands.

PS we didn't have the receipt print out. I just watched the new gal overwrite it on her computer. So the rate was in there.

Yes, I'm sure it could happen anywhere, but I lived there for 5 years and it is very typical Hawaii. If you've ever been to or lived in Hawaii, they do things differently out here. Many places have an oh well, f you approach to customer service, especially if you venture away from the tourist areas... General manager could have cared less. We feel pretty helpless. Ended up paying it.

Yes, I'm sure it could happen anywhere, but I lived there for 5 years and it is very typical Hawaii. If you've ever been to or lived in Hawaii, they do things differently out here. Many places have an oh well, f you approach to customer service, especially if you venture away from the tourist areas... General manager could have cared less. We feel pretty helpless. Ended up paying it.

Now contact the higher ups and make a fuss. You MIGHT get some (or all) of the additional amount back.

Back