Hostel Work Environment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lanaasks

My jurisdiction is: New York

Based on what I have researched so far, I know I will be unable to file for unemployment if I quit based on the harassment I am enduring does not fall into the illegal category. However, I have no problem getting fired at this point even though it will tarnish my perfect employment history. My question is if I am fired, and I could prove that it was through no fault of my own, can I still collect unemployment even when he will most likely lie about what happened. To give some background about my daily work life, I work as a business manager in someone's house with another assistant who is dealing with the same issues and contemplating the same action. Our days consist of one or more of the following: getting screamed/cursed at by him at the top of his lungs, tells us he is suicidal, asks us if he should kill himself and starts crying, not being able to complete our job duties because he "can't deal" to give direction/approval then yelled at because nothing gets done, having to work with my boss while he only wears his boxer shorts (not kidding), made to search for legal and illegal ways to protect my boss as someone has threatened to hurt him (again, not kidding), starting making the other assistant sleep over because he is scared to sleep alone in his home, being asked to sleep overnight at his home when he is not home to protect it from being robbed by man threatening him (I'm a small female and refused). I have heard from another business acquaintance and one of my bosses close friend that they feel that my boss can no longer function in society anymore and he would be better in an institution. Both the other assistant and myself are afraid to speak to our boss, as we fear what the reaction would be. Do we have any hope to leave this job and collect unemployment?

Only the UI office of your state can tell you whether or not you can quit and collect benefits given any situation. Nothing anyone here could say would be more than a guess, and our guesses are not binding on your UI office.

FYI, under the law unless you are being subjected to either sexual harassment or illegal discrimination under Title VII and related laws (race, religion, national origin etc.) then you are not, legally, in an hostile work environment. It takes more than an unpleasant workplace to create an HWE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back