Honorable Discarge& NO DD 214

Status
Not open for further replies.

wmarantha

HONORABLE Discharge but No DD 214
This is an old problem that I would like to get resolved. I only request what is fair and truthful.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My civil rights were denied, and deprived prior to leaving the Marine Corps. I was not counseled prior to leaving the Marine Corps Reserve,regarding the time required to be considered a veteran.

I was a member of the MARINE CORPS RESERVE in Garden City LONG ISLAND NY, FROM 1955 TO 1960. At that time the Marine Corps never at any time told me my rights concerning being a veteran.
I feel now that my Civil Rights were violated because I was not told by the Marine Corps that I had not completed 90 days required by law for my DD 214. The Marine Corps never counseled me on potential benefits, concerning being a veteran. I feel an injustice has been performed on me, and my Civil Rights have been deprived and denied. I would not have gotten out of the USMCR if I had known the facts. MCO P1900.16F (Appendix M) is the official Marine Corps Retirement/Separation Document. The Marine Corps did not follow this document with me. I grant I did not serve 90 consecutive days active, but the Marine Corps never tod me as defined in MCO P1900.16F, that I was suppose to be counseled and that I Had to serve 90 days active duty to be considered a veteran.

My serial number was 1505195. I JOINED THE USMCR at the age of 17 1/2.That unit was the 1st Infantry Battalion USMCR, but now has been renamed 2nd Battalion 25th Marines, USMCR. At that time my enlistment was an 8 year obligation, ( 6 years in ready reserve and 2 yrs active duty). In 1955 there was an 8 year obligation to the selective service.

I went to normal training drills, and training in Camp Lejeune,etc 1955,1956,1957,1958,1959. I had a good record and I never did not get into any trouble at all. In Jan 1960 I asked the Marine Corps Reserve to extend my enlistment 6 months because my mother was dying of cancer. They (USMC) in Garden City LI, NY. told me I had successfully completed my obligation, USMC said nothing about an extension to my enlistment.. I received an Honorable Discharge in 1963, which is eight years after I enlisted.

I did submit a request to my Congress person, Honorable Rosa De Lauro, here in my CT. district.in January 2007. Finally I received an answer from her and the Marine Corps, this month May 2008, that I did not serve 90 continuous days, and therefore not considered for a DD 214. They did not consider the facts that I did not receive any counseling before separation, which I was required to receive as mandated by MCO P1900.16F.

Marine Corps violated & disregarded their Retiremment/Separation Policy
MCO P1900.16F

What would you advise? Thank you, wmarantha@aol.com
William Connolly

:no:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back