Homeowner's Insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

helponlaw

Can a management company or HOA board mandate that you put their name on your homeowners insurance policy?

We were recently sent a note stating this, when I spoke to my insurance company they said 'heck no!'

Any assistance you can offer is greatly appreciated.

I don't see how legally they can do that. What they want to do is use your homeowners insurance for any claims instead of using their own. You might want to see if your cirty offers any sort of mediation or help line for HOA disputes, or see if your newspaper has any attorney that addresses questions like this. I know mine does.

I would approach this differently. Read your HOA articles of incorporation/bylaws and see if there is anything there that requires you to name the HOA or management company as part of your policy. If there isn't a clause on the bylaws, then tell them that you will not do it because it is not required that you do so. Moreover, you don't see why you should do it since liability from any claims will fall under your responsibility even if it were not caused by you and, unless subject by your local laws, they cannot ask you to do so.

I thoroughly read the bylaws and covenants and no where does it state that we need to place the mgmt company on our policies.

The lastest is that we have to name our subdivision although there's nothing in our documentation stating that either.

I spoke to my insurance company and they told me they cannot be named as insured.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back