Home ownership with best friend

lbn714

Me and my best friend purchased a home last Sept, I helped my friend secure the loan with my credit and he and myself are the only two on the title and the loan for the house. His ex now refuses to leave and over the past two weeks has his family staying at the house, I received a text from him staying for me to state the terms for him to move out. He never had a rental agreement nor has his name on any documents stating he has ownership of the house, they have been together for over a year and a half and broke up cause of the ex's infidelity. Does he have any rights to the house? And what can I do to get him out of the house?

Me and my best friend purchased a home last Sept, I helped my friend secure the loan with my credit and he and myself are the only two on the title and the loan for the house. His ex now refuses to leave and over the past two weeks has his family staying at the house, I received a text from him staying for me to state the terms for him to move out. He never had a rental agreement nor has his name on any documents stating he has ownership of the house, they have been together for over a year and a half and broke up cause of the ex's infidelity. Does he have any rights to the house? And what can I do to get him out of the house?

You reside in California.
California is a community property state.
If HE acquired the home BEFORE HIS divorce was FINALIZED, you betcha she can lay a claim to the house you and HE thought was owned by you and HIM.

If, however, HE acquired the home AFTER HE was divorced, HE must evict her according to California law.

If the home was acquired by HIM during HIS marriage, his former spouse's name may not be on the title, nevertheless she can lay a claim to 1/2 of HIS 1/2.
In essence, she could potentially hold a 1/4 interest in the home.
If that is the case, she can't be evicted.

Last edited:
Back