Home Invasion - I know who did it but they are getting away with it.

Traydmrk

Jurisdiction
Michigan
My next door neighbor's friend broke into my house and stole all of my jewelry and two firearms and also left a lot of damage. I didn't even know his name but I knew it was him from the moment it happened. I later found out that he was on parole for two home invasions, five b&e's and one larceny conviction. My neighbor was also on parole. The motion detection on my video surveillance wasn't working and he wore the same mask that myself and another neighbor saw him with not long before this happened. The cops brought out a dog and the K9 went right to my neighbor's front door. I have a picture of him taken a couple weeks after the home invasion wearing the same coat and rolled up pants that he wore while breaking into my house. He has a huge Adam's apple and a piercing which are both visible in the video. The detective told me all we can do is wait around and hopefully some day someone will get pulled over with one of my guns. Are they serious?!? I am 100% sure it was this guy and he's going to get away with it and still show up next door to hang out with my neighbor? Is there ANYTHING I can do??? This is outrageous! Pontiac, Michigan (Oakland County)

There's this little thing called Evidence. You can "know" what happened and you might even be right, but the guy can't be arrested and charged based solely on your say-so. He's not the only man in the world with a big Adam's apple and anyone can roll up their pants. If they don't have enough evidence other than your word to charge him, they're not going to charge him.

Or would you rather a country with laws where YOU can be picked up, charged and convicted just on someone's say-so, evidence or not?

No, but so much circumstantial evidence should mean something and with him being on parole, his home should've been searched just like so many other people on parole have had their homes and property searched. Thank you for your reply.

Please go to your favorite search engine and look up the 4th Amendment of the United States Constitution. Ask yourself if, should the situation be reversed, you would agree that there was enough evidence to get a warrant to search YOUR house.

o much circumstantial evidence

What you term "circumstantial evidence" is actually your personal observations and recollections.

Evidence can be found in a variety of ways at any crime scene.

If there was a murder, robbery, assault, burglary, etc... there are various effective techniques and methods crime scene investigators use not only to gather evidence, but ensure that the evidence is valid and can be presented in a court of law.

http://chemistry.armstrong.edu/nivens/Forensics/CHEM 4600/Chem 4600 Crime Scene.pdf

The person in your video can't be identified CONCLUSIVELY by the police.

That happens more than one might know, despite the prevalence of cameras, because many cameras don't work well in the dark (or where lighting conditions are less than bright sunshine).

The streets do talk.

You might wish to reach out to anyone you know that is among the people of the street.

If someone stole your firearms and other stuff, the thief has probably tried to sell (if he hasn't sold) some or all of your goodies.

The street knows who had your items on offer.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is reach out to the streets and see what you can learn.

Money might be able to get some of the more needy street denizens to blab, or at least point you in the right direction.

However, asking questions, if you don't know what you're doing can end up causing you great bodily harm, or worse.

Therefore, be very careful if you do start poking around.

If you get HARD evidence, REAL evidence, the police will investigate your findings in an effort to arrest the "perp".

Back