Breaking a Lease HOA Violation (Subleases)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TWASH02

I moved into a townhouse in Decatur,GA on 2/2012. After I signed my 12mth lease with a company and moved in, I found out from my neighbor (who is over the neighborhood HOA) that the owner out my townhouse is NOT allowed to sublease and has not been paying her HOA fees. She is more than $8,000 in the rears. The water and trash bill are included in the HOA fees which I don't pay because I knew nothing about any of this until recently (2/2014). My lease is up on the 14th (this friday). If I don't give a 60 day notice of no plans to renew my lease then another 12mth lease will start automatically. I am moving. Question... is it illegal for my landlord to sublease to me against HOA? If it is illegal, does that mean my lease contract is voided?

It isn't illegal for him/her to have leased to you.

But, it could have civil penalties assessed by the HOA or the court.

As his/her tenant, none of that impacts you.

Just give yoru notice, and get a letter from the HOA telling the landlord why you can't renew, even though you'd like to have done so.

Thanks. I asked the HOA for some paperwork regarding the violations but I was told that since I am not the home owner, I can not have any copies of HOA rules, regulations, or contract. So, I am in the process of giving the owner notice that I plan to vacate with an explanation of why. I just don't want to come home and the water has been shut off because the owner has not been paying the HOA fees which includes the water bill.

Thanks. I asked the HOA for some paperwork regarding the violations but I was told that since I am not the home owner, I can not have any copies of HOA rules, regulations, or contract. So, I am in the process of giving the owner notice that I plan to vacate with an explanation of why. I just don't want to come home and the water has been shut off because the owner has not been paying the HOA fees which includes the water bill.

That could happen. If it does, have a chat and ask them what it would COST you to have it turned back on for a couple of weeks.
If I were you, I'd get out sooner, rather than wait for bad or inconvenient stuff to occur.

Forget about the deadbeat, save yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back