1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

HITECH HIPAA Business Associate Agreements with TPAs? knowledge?

Discussion in 'Human Resources' started by hrforme, Sep 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hrforme

hrforme Law Topic Starter Active Member

Has anyone else been getting these from TPAs/insurance brokers that deal with health insurance? I've gotten the bum's rush to sign these agreements quickly or am being told that as an employer we would be liable if we don't sign them. Neither TPA has done a great job explaining what it is or why we should sign it.

One TPA does COBRA admin for us. Other than knowing what our plan premiums are each year (they don't answer any coverage issues beyond premium payments), I don't see where they would ever have any PHI. The 2nd is our health insurance broker who at times would have access to benefits paperwork so I understand that one more.

Any thoughts?

2. Betty3

Betty3 Super Moderator

3. cbg

cbg Super Moderator

I haven't seen or heard of them but they wouldn't go to me; they'd go to our vendor management team.

4. lda01

lda01 New Member

Yep, just got a 10-page contract from our broker. The verbiage seems to be mostly protecting them. I had heard about these vendor "agreements " that would be required, but had no idea they would be so ponderous.