Hit & Run Collision - How to identify the driver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bptfp

Jurisdiction
Washington
My question involves a collision in the city of Seattle, county of King, state of Washington.

A motorcyclist collided with my car whilst trying to merge in to the lane that I was driving in. The rider was aware of the collision but did not stop or even slow down to exchange information. I have video of the incident and can identify the motorcycle's license plate. The rider was wearing a helmet and thus I am not able to make out their face.

Should I decide to pursue action against the rider, how would I proceed?

My question involves a collision in the city of Seattle, county of King, state of Washington.

A motorcyclist collided with my car whilst trying to merge in to the lane that I was driving in. The rider was aware of the collision but did not stop or even slow down to exchange information. I have video of the incident and can identify the motorcycle's license plate. The rider was wearing a helmet and thus I am not able to make out their face.

Did you file a complaint with the police?

You have several options available to you, most of them should not require explanation or elaboration.

First of all, YOU can't pursue action against the ALLEGED perpetrator.

You can, however, report the incident to your automobile insurer.

You can report the matter to the local/city police, county sheriff, or state patrol/state troopers/state police (or whatever moniker is used in your state) in the jurisdiction where the alleged collision occurred.

You should also hand over any alleged evidence you possess that supports your allegation.

After a Collision
If you are involved in or witness an auto accident where medical or police assistance is needed, call 9-1-1.

If you pass an auto accident and it does not appear that assistance is needed, or you see involved parties on a wireless phone, or emergency personnel have already arrived, please do not call 9-1-1.

If the collision is minor and you don't need police response:
You should exchange insurance information.

You can report collisions online via the Collision Report with Washington State Patrol here:
Collision Reports - WSP

If there is over $1,000 damage, you are required by law to report the collision to the Washington State Patrol.

After a Collision - Police | seattle.gov

If you are involved an accident, call 9-1-1 for a police response. If the police complete a written report, you do not need to complete an accident report, you just need to contact your insurance company. You need to file a report within 4 days to the State Department of Motor Vehicles.
You can do that by clicking here: https://fortress.wa.gov/wsp/wrecr/OMVCR/

Accident reports - King County.

Did you file a complaint with the police?
No, pre-BLM they would refuse to investigate anything where significant damage did not occur. I doubt that policy has changed.
First of all, YOU can't pursue action against the ALLEGED perpetrator.
Please explain how the city can make a case against an individual for a traffic crime but an individual cannot do the same to another individual.
If the collision is minor and you don't need police response:
You should exchange insurance information.
Yes, it was minor. A bit hard to exchange insurance information when the other party drives off, isn't it?
After a Collision - Police | seattle.gov
Thank you for this link; I will read it further

No, pre-BLM they would refuse to investigate anything where significant damage did not occur. I doubt that policy has changed.Please explain how the city can make a case against an individual for a traffic crime but an individual cannot do the same to another individual.Yes, it was minor. A bit hard to exchange insurance information when the other party drives off, isn't it?Thank you for this link; I will read it further

You should still file a complaint with the police. Hit and run is a crime.

Give the information/video to your insurance company...they will have one of their investigators find the owner of the bike.

No, pre-BLM they would refuse to investigate anything where significant damage did not occur. I doubt that policy has changed.
That's not the point. You report it and then you have a record of your report that is contemporaneous with the incident. This will bolster any later claims you make.
Please explain how the city can make a case against an individual for a traffic crime but an individual cannot do the same to another individual.
Because a private citizen doesn't charge another with a crime.

You should have contacted the police immediately to make a report. You should have contacted your insurance carrier immediately to report what happened.

If you haven't done either of those things, do them immediately. Then proceed as the police and your insurer instruct you.

pre-BLM they would refuse to investigate anything where significant damage did not occur.

I have no idea what "pre-BLM" means (the most common meaning is Bureau of Land Management, which is a federal agency that has existed for 75 years, so I doubt you were alive "pre-BLM"), but you don't need to the police to investigate. You do, however, need the police report.

You should have contacted the police immediately to make a report. You should have contacted your insurance carrier immediately to report what happened.

If you haven't done either of those things, do them immediately. Then proceed as the police and your insurer instruct you.

I have no idea what "pre-BLM" means (the most common meaning is Bureau of Land Management, which is a federal agency that has existed for 75 years, so I doubt you were alive "pre-BLM"), but you don't need to the police to investigate. You do, however, need the police report.
Z, I believe that OP is referring to Black Lives Matter.

Yes, it was minor. A bit hard to exchange insurance information when the other party drives off, isn't it?

1) File a police report. See post #7 fr the most obvious reason why.

2) Report the incident to your insurance. Give them the information you have, including video. They have resources that you don't for identifying the bike owner. And believe me, your insurance would rather someone else pay for your repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back