Hired but no start 28 days later

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffmikl

I had worked for a BMW dealership in Beverly Hills. We receive a pay plan change that reduced our income by 15%-25%. I voluntarily quit on 11/04/09. In Dec. I was asked by a manager if I would return. On 1/04/10 I met with this manager and the General Manager. The GM hired my and instructed me to meet with the HR manager to complete the required docs. I did and was instructed to complete a urinalysis the next day. I did this. I was told that upon completion of a background check and receipt of the urinalysis results I would be contacted, in a few days. The urinalysis test was clear, as was the background check. Nothing in my records had changed since the first hiring in March 2009. After 28 days of contacting, texting, and leaving messages, I was told on Feb 1 2010 that I was not going to be working at the dealership. Apparently a manager was on vacation when I was hired on the 4th, and that manager wanted to block my hiring. I passed on two other job opportunities after Jan 4th. I wasted 6 weeks from the first contact with a manger in mid Dec to Feb 1st.

What laws govern how long an employer can keep you in limbo after you are hired? If I was officially hired was I suppose to be officially fired? Do I have any recourse?

J

There ARE no such laws. You were provisionally rehired; you never completed the required documents and never actually performed any services. Therefore, you were not fired. Whether or not turning down other offers based on this conversation resulted in damages for which a detrimental reliance claim could be made, only a qualified employment law attorney in your state could advise appropriately. However, without something in writing, I wouldn't be too optimistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back