Hired and Not Given Shifts

Status
Not open for further replies.

crhodes

Does anyone know if it is against the law to hire someone and then not give them any work. Is it unfair labor practice?

I was hired as a waitress in a restaurant and forced to train for 4 days with no pay. I was put on the schedule for 3 nights and then the second week was not put on at all. I keep calling and calling and getting the run around. Finally I am told the owner hired an old employee back and he was given my shifts. They have no shifts for me.

In addition, I was told by a number of employees there that the turnover is very high at this restaurant. The owner brings many people on to train and then decides whether to hire them or not after their training. In my opinion this is his way of getting free labor. If he does this every week (there were 3 new people there the week I trained alone), he gets lots of free labor.

What do you all think?

How can you hire someone and then not give them any work? Is this against the law or just unethical?

How can you hire someone and then not give them any work? Is this against the law or just unethical? No laws compel an employer to actually provide work to someone they've hired.

I think you may have missed the actual legal issue here. In most instances, training time must be paid. Sounds like this business owner is engaging in a significant wage and hour violation. Contact your State's Department of Labor and file a complaint and then start looking for a new job elsewhere. It doesn't appear you're going to get on the work schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back