Juvenile Crime Help

H

Help

Jurisdiction
Colorado
My son is charged with assault 3rd degree now my sons story is that the guy he hit was calling him names insulating his mother my son then did the same thing to try to get the guy to stop calling him stuff when that didn't work he hit the guy now this is one of many fights sometimes the guy would punch sometimes my son will punch and when my son asked the guy if it was his fault and he said most of it was his fualt now this happend 4 months ago and my son can remember what happend now my son is chubby and that guy is very skinny and he hit my son near his temples and it caused a massive headache what can I do my son hit first but these fight were one of 6 or so my son is 12 and the other guy 11 please help

This is not a big deal.
You need to speak to your an sternly, as a parent, not a friend.
Explain to him about behaving himself.
Let him know there's no reason to fight.
As he grows older, you explain self defense.
At this time you share with him the old rhyme about "sticks and stones".

If he is to appear before a juvenile court judge, you and mother go with him.

You ask the court if he needs a lawyer, and request the court appoint one to assist him, if a lawyer is required.

You inform the judge that you've counseled him about fighting.
You inform the judge that you'll be counseling the child regularly about obeying all laws.

If you and mom think it is needed, get him into counseling.

Otherwise, this is just a small hiccup, let it go, don't obsess over it.

Last thing, stop talking about the kid's weight.
Talk to your family physician about how to help the kid lose weight.

Read this poem, please.

Nails In The Fence (Author Unknown)

There once was a little boy who had a bad temper. His father gave him a bag of nails and told him that every time he lost his temper, he must hammer a nail into the back of the fence.

The first day the boy had driven 37 nails into the fence. Over the next few weeks, as he learned to control his anger, the number of nails hammered daily gradually dwindled down. He discovered it was easier to hold his temper than to drive those nails into the fence.

Finally the day came when the boy didn't lose his temper at all. He told his father about it and the father suggested that the boy now pull out one nail for each day that he was able to hold his temper. The days passed and the young boy was finally able to tell his father that all the nails were gone.

The father took his son by the hand and led him to the fence. He said, "You have done well, my son, but look at the holes in the fence. The fence will never be the same. When you say things in anger, they leave a scar just like this one. You can put a knife in a man and draw it out. It won't matter how many times you say I'm sorry, the wound is still there."

The little boy then understood how powerful his words were. He looked up at his father and said "I hope you can forgive me father for the holes I put in you."

Now, share it with your child.

Good luck.

Back