Business Debt, Collections help

blueone75

hello i need your help i got a call earlier today at my mother in law from a law firm saying that i ab out to be served to go to court becuse of a checking acct i had back n 2008 he said it was charged off in 2010 and that i have to sever 30 to 90 days in jail he said if i can make a large payment they could break up the rest my question is can they do this and what can i do because i since moved from the state i had the acct in please help

hello i need your help i got a call earlier today at my mother in law from a law firm saying that i ab out to be served to go to court becuse of a checking acct i had back n 2008 he said it was charged off in 2010 and that i have to sever 30 to 90 days in jail he said if i can make a large payment they could break up the rest my question is can they do this and what can i do because i since moved from the state i had the acct in please help

Its just a scam. No doubt you owe the debt, but that is not how the debt is legitimately collected.
I suggest you refuse to take any calls from these scammers.
I further suggest you STOP communicating with the scammer in anyway, and advise your relatives to tellt hem you don't reside with them at their address, and they have no idea where you live.
No one gets put in jail for owing debts in the USA.
Legitimate debt collectors don't threaten to scare money out of you by saying you'll be arrested.
Good luck.

Oh, I think I'd let them call one more time.

And I'd immediately tell them that for quality purposes I'm recording this phone call and say "could you give your name and direct line please?"

If they hang up: Scam.

If they actually give the info: Well... come back and let us know.

It most likely is a scam. I don't think I would worry about it unless you get an actual court summons.

Back