Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrishD

Not sure if im in the right place but this is my problem and would apprieciate any kind of help or advise... I was taken to small claims court for a cell phone bill that my ex husband and i had together but it was in my name... to make a long story short i missed my court date 3 times not intentionly its just something that i wasnt thinking about anyways when i went in the judge asked me if i wanted a lawyer, I said no not thinking I needed a lawyer for a cell phone bill but he talked nothing of the phone bill he went staight to the contempt of court and gave me 5 days in jail. What my question would be is there anything that i can do to try and get no time in jail maybe some community hours or something like that... who should i speak with regarding this. I cant afford a lawyer I am a widowed mother of three, I have never been in trouble with the law before and I dont know what to do can you please help me
thank you for your time
Trish D

Trish, you don't get thrown in jail for missing a small claims court date.

Give us more facts and details why the judge found you in contempt.

I was served papers to go to court... I failed to go. I was then served papers again and the lady who was serving me the papers told me that she would advise me to go to court because i can get 40 days in jail. I went to that court date and the judge was in the middle of a murder trail that was going on, he stated to everyone in the court room that he wanted to get back downstairs so he would set another date for the people that were there that day. I was then served again for the next date. Unfortunatley I missed that one and not intentionaly I have a very bad memory I shouldnt say bad its short cause I do remember things but then it is to late. I was then served this last court date for march 1/07 I went to that and it was remanded to the afternoon. When I returned the the courtroom. He went on about he wasnt worried about the bill and of when i was gonna pay it he was going to discuss the court dates that were missed and that he wasnt sure if i did it intentionaly or recklessly and he went on about why shouldnt he give me time in jail because i had missed these court dates and within 10 minutes he gave me the 5 days in jail gave me the option to go now from the court house or go home and get my affairs in order with my kids job etc.... and basicly wait for them to come and pick me up when they had time it could be 2 days, a week, 2 months or if i get pulled over they can take me then or i can turn myself in ... then he issued the warrant out for my arrest and i left. He also stated to me that i was explained of the consequences from the other judge but as i recall the only thing that he told us was that he was in the middle of the murder case and that he wanted to get back downstairs.
I have never been in trouble before with the law I do not have a criminal record. I think he couldnt have been a little fairand gave me like some kind of community hours or something Im not sure I m just bumming out that he issued a warrant and that i have to go to jail...
Thank you again

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back