Credit Cards, Rating, Repair HELP! Tricked into signing stolen credit card HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nursingstudent

Long story short:

Met someone known for 6 days (12 days total after everything)--went shopping and his hands were full of groceries so I signed a credit card slip when he asked me...he told me he had all his money from his school loans when I had asked him how he had money without a job. It made sense...i'm a student myself. A week later I found out from his roommates that they had given him their credit card to use to buy groceries and such...but he had racked up 8-10,000 dollars out of their atm account. They think I was a part of it--they don't know me...I had just met all of them the day I met him. He was at all the atm's withdrawing money, signing everything...not I...only that once. I caught him when I started catching on towards the end when he mentioned he had to go inside the bank to get money out, he couldn't use the ATM...so I told his roommates.

The cops told them they couldn't do anything since they gave him their card. BUT they could press charges against him (the guy that tricked me) or me if they wanted. They are not speaking to me for some reason now and i'm thinking they are working on a case (I've heard from others). The bank gave them the money back. What if they lied on the police report to say it was stolen? they said they were pressing charges. I'm 26 and a full time worker and nursing student...what should i do? Should I go to the cops and press charges and tell them I was tricked? should I mention i knew they gave him the card on occasion to buy groceries and such...but I didn't know it was their card? Should I get a lawyer? HELP!!!! I can't lose my future, go to jail and forfeit my career i've worked so hard for--for something I didn't mean to be a part of!

I'm puzzled as to why you'd sign any credit card slip that wasn't yours - and frankly there's a good chance your version of events won't be believed.

That aside, if you are charged with anything you need to speak to your attorney and only the attorney about this.

Yeah, don't try to explain anything to the cops. Your explanation may get you into deeper trouble.

If you can afford an atty., get one. If you can't afford an atty., get one after you're arrested and tell the cops you don't want to make any statements until you talk to an atty. BUT do NOT try to explain your way out of it to the cops or anybody else, in doing so you may actually be making statements that help get you convicted.

... and stop dating scumbags !

I didn't know anything about it being the roommates card. I was the one who told the roommates about my suspicians. The roommates told me the cops told them there was nothing they could do since apparently they gave him the card to use ..it would have made him an authorized user.

I didn't know anything about it being the roommates card. I was the one who told the roommates about my suspicians. The roommates told me the cops told them there was nothing they could do since apparently they gave him the card to use ..it would have made him an authorized user.

If that is true, you have nothing to fret about, do you?

You've been given good advice by Proserpina.

You'd be smart to heed it.

Nothing you can do, but wait.

If you're arrested and charged, remain silent and ask for a lawyer.

Give no statements about this to the cops.

Stop communicating with the all of these people.

You should also know, that if you signed the tab in Walmart (or similar places), it was videoed.

And the next time someone has their hand full of groceries and wants you to sign their slip for them, offer to hold their groceries instead.

did you sign his name or your name? Did he give the card to the cashier or did you give it? As the pro's stated above... quiet please.

Thanks--this is my life--I believed what he told me, which was that it was his school loan money. I had no reason to doubt him, because I had only known him for a few days at this point and his roommates had known him (at least the girl) since they were 5...they were neighbors. She said he was a "good guy"...and not only that, but a girl that dated him wanted me to meet him thought we would get along well with our outgoing personalities...she had dated him a year. All good things were said about him--so I didn't think anything of it...until I found out two weeks later what was going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back