Permanent Residency Help needed on green card renewal ??'s

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMCA1980

Hello, thank you for taking the time to review this. My fiance' has to renew her green card in Jan 08 and it is making her a little nuts. She is extremely afraid that it will not be renewed and she is being deported. What reasons (other than criminal, she has none) could cause a denial? She does have some back taxes owed, but other than that and failing to change her name at INS after her previous marriage, she is clean. Does she really have anything to worry about? Thanks.

She worrying too much…………..first of all since she is in the US she should inform immigration of change of name now and any address changes………..She does not need to renew her green card immediately even if it expires. She should update all required info first. It is not against the law to be in the US with an expired GC. If she owes taxes and did not commit any crime leading to owing taxes, she is okay. Immigration is only concerned about your criminal past not your civil issues. If she has never been arrested or charged with a crime she is okay!

Thank you for the quick response. Her other concern is work. will the expired card cause any issues there. I was told that as long as the application to renew is submitted prior to the expiration date, she will be okay.MM

Most jobs would not care about it.............they would not even notice. It is not against the law not to renew it in time……many people work with it and realize it has expired only before travel out of the US. Older GCs do not even have expiration dates…….just indefinite. But if her job asks, she can apply and show them the receipt of submission. It is just like a driver license which expires, people will see it and know you have it and just need to renew. I have not heard of any current employer making a big deal of it............unless some new job which would insist on a current one..........Not old employer.

Any time............We are always ready to help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back