HELP! mental health, civil rights....

Status
Not open for further replies.

411jack

On Thursday, March 6, I was diagnosed as bipolar. I was diagnosed by a psychiatrist who had seen me only for one hour after deciding I was bipolar. I asked for, repeatedly, a lawyer, a second opinion, and to speak with my family. I was calm, peaceful and noviolent.

I was handcuffed as I lay flacid, not moving a muscle or uttering a word. I was brought to a mental hospital and NEVER recieved a lawyer after 5 days in the hospital. I was also told at the college counseling center (SUNY New Paltz) that I was diagnosed that I was not able to contact my parents.

What were/are my rights? What should/could I have done? Why was I brought in handcuffs if I was not arrested?

Please help. Thank you.

I am not looking to sue anyone, just ensure that this does NOT happen again to any 20 year old kid who is not educated on his/her rights. Thank you.

reply to law professor

There were NONE! I was told that I was in violation of the mental hygiene code of NYS and that I had to go or I would be arrested. I then said, "arrest me" I was cuffed, but NO ARREST RECORD was ever made.

Thanks.

This is very odd. What statute were you charged with violating? Why were you cuffed? How were you released? If all this was done without cause... then you do have a real case and you will definitely want to see an attorney. We know plenty in Rockland county. However, all the events do suggest that something did occur -- why would they just put you in handcuffs for no reason? Why pick on you? There is likely some history and undertaking a case like yours would require disclosure... I hope all is well with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back