Help me please!! I Trying to do the right thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJBnice

I was recently in a relationship with a girlfriend of 2 1/2 years. Prior to our break up, she had purchased a car in her name, but I pay the Insurance and car payments on them. The payments and Insurance are up to date and paid in a timely manner with no late payments.

She recently has decided she moving to be with her new boyfriend and decided she does'nt want to be tied to the car anymore. I have triend everything in my power to get the car in my name, but my credit history prevents that. Now she harrass me periodicaly about the getting the car off her name before she moves in march of 2004. I have tried everything. Is there anything I can do resolve this? can she sue me for the car?

as for the agreement I hold up my end of the bargin with the car, but she feels that its not enough anymore and would like to end the car agreement. Although I am not legal linked to the car, I do make the payments to both insurance and car leasing bank because I agreed to it. I basically want her to stop harrassing me and to do that I either need to get the car off her name in 3 months or give back the car (which to her is not an option, as for she does not want the car) Help is greatly needed

NJbnice

"She recently has decided she moving to be with her new boyfriend and decided she does'nt want to be tied to the car anymore. I have triend everything in my power to get the car in my name, but my credit history prevents that. Now she harrass me periodicaly about the getting the car off her name before she moves in march of 2004. I have tried everything. Is there anything I can do resolve this? can she sue me for the car?"

There is the legal situation in which if there is nothing in writing then she is on the hook for the car loan. She can always try to sue you saying there was a verbal agreement but her case would be weak.

Then there is the moral issue. As I understand it she purchased the car for you and you are using the car. Simply sell the vehicle
and pay the difference between the selling price and the loan.

Then you are both on your own.

For the most part, lwpat has hit the nail on the head. I'm not sure why you should have to pay for the car since I didn't read anywhere that this was a part of the agreement. However, it seems to me from your writing that this was done for your benefit since you don't have sufficient credit.

But what remedy is there for her? She signed for it and it's not her decision or yours who is the primary signator on the loan. That is up to the lender, who is likely not to release her as the primary signator and replace her with you... why would the lender want to do something like that, especially without any compensation for getting a weaker candidate with poor credit?

I'd simply tell her that there is nothing you can do to change the situation except to sell the vehicle, as was suggested. Then use the proceeds of the car to pay off the loan and each of you go your separate ways. By doing so, though, you may get less value for the car but it's the best suggestion at the moment.

Originally posted by NJBnice
I was recently in a relationship with a girlfriend of 2 1/2 years. Prior to our break up, she had purchased a car in her name, but I pay the Insurance and car payments on them. The payments and Insurance are up to date and paid in a timely manner with no late payments.

She recently has decided she moving to be with her new boyfriend and decided she does'nt want to be tied to the car anymore. I have triend everything in my power to get the car in my name, but my credit history prevents that. Now she harrass me periodicaly about the getting the car off her name before she moves in march of 2004. I have tried everything. Is there anything I can do resolve this? can she sue me for the car?

as for the agreement I hold up my end of the bargin with the car, but she feels that its not enough anymore and would like to end the car agreement. Although I am not legal linked to the car, I do make the payments to both insurance and car leasing bank because I agreed to it. I basically want her to stop harrassing me and to do that I either need to get the car off her name in 3 months or give back the car (which to her is not an option, as for she does not want the car) Help is greatly needed

NJbnice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back