help I got ripped off on ebay

Status
Not open for further replies.

poorchoices

I bought a world of warcraft account on ebay. I've been playing it for about 3 months now. A few days ago I tried to log in and the password was changed. Then I tried to do the password recovery thing and the email was changed too. I sent an email to the guy I bought it from yesterday asking what was up and didn't get a response. So, I sent another and told him that he has one week to give me either the account of my money back or I'm going to file fraud charges with paypal and contact the authorities.

I just got an email from him. He closed his paypal account and I guess his ebay account got suspended shortly after I bought the account from him. He says that he doesn't know anything about why the password and email have changed on the account. I told him I didn't believe him.

He says there's nothing I can do anyway because Blizzard is the owner of the account not me or him and all he was selling me was the information I used to log into the account. He said that it's not fraud because he sent me what I bought in the auction which was the log in and password for his account and because the character on the account was exactly what it was in the auction. He still denies that he was the one who changed the password and stuff.

So I read on blizzards website about the rules for world of warcraft accounts and it does say that blizzard owns the accounts and that the only person who has rights to the account is the person it was originally registered to. It is true that everything he advertised in the auction was true about the character and it didn't actually say that I own the account or anything...it just said that the winner of the auction gets an email with the log in information. He has proof that I got that email too...because I replied to it and my email puts all the previous messages at the bottom. So I can't say that he never sent it to me...

Is this guy right? Is there nothing I can do to him legally? He says he's not breaking any laws and won't admit that he was the one who changed the password. Is there anyway I can get my money back from him? He closed his paypal before I had a chance to open a dispute...plus it's been 3 months since the transaction. Ebay doesn't allow the sales of world of warcraft accounts on their site. So they might not like it if I told them I bought one on there and he's already banned from ebay.

You would have to go where the bad person lives and sue him.

Ughh I just got another email from him denying that he's the one who changed the account info but seriously who else could it be? He's saying that I could have shared the info with a friend or maybe I have a key logger or virus on my computer but I'm sure I didn't. He's the only one who could have done this...is that enough proof? Do you think the judge would side with me?

Ughh I just got another email from him denying that he's the one who changed the account info but seriously who else could it be? He's saying that I could have shared the info with a friend or maybe I have a key logger or virus on my computer but I'm sure I didn't. He's the only one who could have done this...is that enough proof? Do you think the judge would side with me?

Obviously the person whom you paid defrauded you in selling an account that was either not his or did not fully transfer you the account. The person who collected the money knew what the money was being collected for. He can tell his stories in court. You should contact e-bay/paypal and file a dispute/make a statement at the very least. It is possible this person may end up facing the law and being charged, which may be the case with those who commit mass amounts of fraud at e-bay.

With regard to filing in small claims court, the Judge is right. You're probably out your money since the investment in effort isn't worth the cost.

When you go to e-bay you should be prepared to admit that the deal that is too good to be true probably isn't true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back