Alcohol & Drugs: MIP, MIC, Intoxication Help - giving alcohol to people age below 21

Status
Not open for further replies.

miouuu

This evening I went to school with my friend, which is also my roommate. When we passed by an alcohol retail store near the campus, my friend (he's over 21) went in it and bought some alcohol (I did not go into the store). After he bought the alcohol, he went out and put the bottles in my schoolbag, just thinking that it is a little inconvenient handling them (he did not take the schoolbag with him). However, 2 policemen came by and recorded our names and information and said that it is a criminal offense. They said that he was trying to give me alcohol (I'm under 21 but over 18) and it is a criminal offense. So the conclusion is that he put the alcohol in my bag.They said that they will send mail to us to inform us the result. My friend will go to the court. This is what exactly the whole thing.

I'm writing to consult something about this issue. What kind of penalty can he have? Will he be put in prison? What kind of penalty can I have? Is it MIP for me?
We are trying to get information about the issue. I did not clearly understand what they said, but my friend said I would need to get some classes about the issue. He will go to the court. Do I need to go to court as well? We will seek the help of lawyers and we are waiting for the mail. Could anyone please tell us some information or advice about this issue? We are in MA. Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Your charge has nothing to do with consumption. You appear to have been cited for possession.

If one isn't 21, it is against the law to possess, transport, even touch alcohol. In Texas, the same goes for picking up an empty beer can.

I'm not sure about the state you're going to school, Massachusetts. I suggest you plead not guilty, hire a lawyer, or ask the court to appoint one to represent you

Your, I'm ignorant of your laws defense won't fly.

In this country, you're presumed to know the law. You're held accountable for obeying all laws.

I'm sure it is exactly the same in your country. You're a guest here. I suggest you inform yourself and obey all of our laws.

If you play your cards right, you'll likely get a deferred sentencing, be required to take a few alcohol abuse classes, stay outta trouble, and you'll just get a stern warning.

There are no guarantees. I suggest you consult an attorney. I also suggest you stop being a mule for your friend. Come on, dude. What stopped your friend from carrying your bag that contained his purchase???

Nothing, absolutely, nothing.

I suggest you also stop talking and making excuses.
You have a right to remain silent.

Thank you for your advice. You are absolutely right. We should obey the laws here and there should not be any excuses. We will consult lawyers. Could you please give any advice to my friend? Or what will happen to my friend?

If one isn't 21, it is against the law to possess, transport, even touch alcohol.

In most circumstances, and depending upon state law.
In many states a person under 21 can possess and consume alcohol in the privacy of their own home... getting it is the tricky part. It is when a person is in public that they risk violating the law.
A person under 18 can even possess and consume alcohol legally- it just depends upon the circumstances.

So what will happen to my friend? they said he was giving them to me. We are in MA.

Last edited:
In most circumstances, and depending upon state law.
In many states a person under 21 can possess and consume alcohol in the privacy of their own home... getting it is the tricky part. It is when a person is in public that they risk violating the law.
A person under 18 can even possess and consume alcohol legally- it just depends upon the circumstances.

In Texas a minor is permitted to consume alcohol given to them by their parent or guardian only.

A minor is allowed to touch or transport alcohol if in lawful, gainful employment; ie... A retail cashier or a bagger, I know of very few circumstances where it is legal for a minor (under 21 in this case) to use, possess, purchase, or transport alcohol. In fact, a minor in possession of an empty beer can in Texas is charged with MIC.

Another exception in Texas, is if a 17 year old is legally wed to say a 23 year old. The minor's adult spouse can legally give liquor to their under age (under 21) spouse.

Thank you for your advice. You are absolutely right. We should obey the laws here and there should not be any excuses. We will consult lawyers. Could you please give any advice to my friend? Or what will happen to my friend?

Your friend should do as I told you.

He/she could be in bigger trouble.

Giving liquor to minors is against the law.

So what will happen to my friend? they said he was giving them to me. We are in MA.

All anyone can do is speculate as to what will happen with you or your friend in this instance. He simply should not have provided you with the alcohol, and you should not have accepted it.

In Texas a minor is permitted to consume alcohol given to them by their parent or guardian only.

A minor is allowed to touch or transport alcohol if in lawful, gainful employment; ie... A retail cashier or a bagger, I know of very few circumstances where it is legal for a minor (under 21 in this case) to use, possess, purchase, or transport alcohol. In fact, a minor in possession of an empty beer can in Texas is charged with MIC.

Would this include a minor who is collecting cans for recycling?

Would this include a minor who is collecting cans for recycling?

Yes, not only cans, but empty liquor bottles or wine bottles.

Texas has ZERO TOLERANCE as regards the use, possession, or transportation of alcohol (even empty alcohol containers).

This way when a police officer catches a minor with an empty can, the excuse of "recycling" is not admissible at the bar!

The exceptions I've already cited.

A minor could be emptying the trash bin at his place of employment.
Otherwise, if he isn't picking the cans or bottles up with dad, mom, or his/her guardian, or his/her adult (over 21) spouse; no exceptions.

Another exception in Texas, is if a 17 year old is legally wed to say a 23 year old. The minor's adult spouse can legally give liquor to their under age (under 21) spouse.

LOL isn't it funny how some laws are... Indiana Handgun law someone 18 can carry a pistol with permit, but can't buy a pistol until they are 21..

LOL isn't it funny how some laws are... Indiana Handgun law someone 18 can carry a pistol with permit, but can't buy a pistol until they are 21..
And in CA it can be a felony to carry a concealed knife, but you can get just a misdemeanor citation for a concealed, loaded handgun. Go figger!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back