Help! Court tomorrow morning!

Status
Not open for further replies.

medeluna

How about some advice: whether or not to plead "No Contest" or "Not Guilty" on a speed racing ticket in an attempt to down-grade it to a speeding ticket...

Do you think the judge would be more sympathetic to one plea v.s. the other?

You *really* need to think about investing in a lawyer for that one dude, plead not guilty and get one.

I WAS CONVICTED OF SPEED CONTEST AND FOR A FACT I KNOW THRE IS NO WAY THAT THEY WILL REDUCE IT DOWN TO A SPEEDING TICKET,THEY TAKE RACING VERY SERIOUSLY AND TO BE HONEST I DIDNT KNOW IT WAS THAT BAD UNTIL I WAS CONVICTED OF IT. I PLEADED GUILTY AND HAD TO DO 30 DAYS OF COMMUNITY SERVICE AND HAD TO PAY ABOUT 300 DOLLARS JUST FOR THE COMMUNITY SERVICE PLUS NOT TO MENTION THAT IT IS A 2 POINT VIOLATION ON YOUR RECORD.

I went to court and plead "Not Guilty". I am in the process of collecting the officers notes from that incident. Once I do, I have a few lawyers to call.

There were 2 of us that got tickets for speed racing and we were on sport bikes which probably looks even worse to the cops. The bummer is that we were not racing eachother, just speeding. There is no way to prove this. But, we are going to attempt to. Add to it that we live in Keizer, Oregon, a town where the police think that most every citizen is out to "break the rules". Basically, the cops there are a bunch of "small" men out to prove they are "large". (Note: I am a girl not a dude) ;)

Once I get my hands on the police reports, I will post them and see if anyone has any ideas for me. I just keep reminding myself that if OJ Simpson can get off of murder charges, just MAYBE I have a chance.

I also found out that a speed racing ticket is worth 4 points. ouch.

not guilty on speed racing

lwpat said:
What happened in court and what jurisdiction?

Not Guilty! This is how it went. I had to postpone the court date because of my job. So, my partner in crime and I both had the court dates automatically rescheduled. We had our hearing in November (last month). Before court, I had a visit with a lawyer that came to me recommended. Cost was $50. Anyhow, he didn't tell me anything I didn't already Know...What to wear, what facts to find out about so we could give him some idea on how to defend us. Well, I decided that I could figure out how to defend myself just as well as he could and for much cheaper!

I hate to use the fact that I am female to my advantage, but when it comes to a felony and cash, I am going to do it.

The facts: Saturday night (11:30pm) on a warm summer evening.
The people: 1 Honda ST1300 (partner in crime/dumdon), 1 Kawasaki ZZR 1200 (the girl/myself) & 1 Porshe (2 teenage boys driving).
The story (as told in court):
Dumdon and I were riding on a main road and got stopped at a light. We noticed a car driving irratically and heading toward us. I thought that I had better watch out because whoever it is might be drinking and driving. They stopped at the light right next to us. We proceeded until we got stopped at the next light. During that length of road they were taunting me (probably because I am a girl wink-wink) by speeding up and slowing down and yelling out the window. I had to make a decision: speed up to get away from the danger or slow down. Well, my bike is fast and I knew I could speed up and get away. So, we both sped up to get out of harms way. That is when the police man pulled dumdon over and sent another officer after me. We told them both of the same Porshe with out the story.
The facts:The officers did not see the Porshe. Dumdon and I were not racing eachother. I did mess around with the Porshe, but I was not an impressive race. Just a bit of goofing off. My speed may have got up to 60 mph for a very short distance. Don was right up there with me.
What the judge said: officers did not see Porshe. Speeding does not constitute racing. Officers could not prove speed racing.
Verdict: Not guilty for speed racing. No fees or fines.

In summary, there were holes on the officer's story. Plus, the fact that I am female and not a teenager, helped the story fly. My partner performed perfectly in front of the judge as well. The officer that pulled me over did not show up to court. :D

The officer that pulled me over was not the officer that issued the tickets. The officer that pulled me over felt sorry for me (as I was trying to beg out of the ticket). He was the officer that did not show up to court. I think that the final outcome would have been the same though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back