Help! Accused of creating a hostile work environment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geebie

Recently a claim was made to my company's omsbudsman against me. At first, it sounded as though it just had to do with language in the workplace (I do tend to swear). However, when I was interviewed by HR it became apparent by the line of questioning that someone had accused me of creating a hostile work environment. Other than swearing, things I was accused of saying were either embellished, totally false, or taken out of context. As an example, one fo the things I was accused of was calling two employees "retards."

Subsequently, I have been terminated for my alleged transgressions, but have not been allowed to see the report against me or anything. They claim some of the things I said were corroborated, however in that office one person is possibly facing termination for performance, and the other is going through a divorce (both reasone say tings that may not be true). I had a managerial role, but was not in a position to hire and fire. Also, based on what I have gathered (once again I don't know exactly what was claimed) it was felt there was a pattern of hostility. I had worked for that company for a number of years and not a single person had ever complained about me. In this particular instance my supervisor never told me that someone was complaining and that I needed to adjust my behavior, so to me I can't find the pattern. I feel like I have been unjustly terminated by a company that acted overzealously to protect itself. Do I have any recourse at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back