Help a kids future and well being depends on it

• Thread Starter undefeatable spirit
  • Start date
U

undefeatable spirit

Jurisdiction
Tennessee
To whom it may concern
I'm 15 and my step-mom is thanking about divorcing my dad. He has been a bad husband and father so I agree with her decision. May I chose to live with her? Please help I feel trapped.

You may live where your parents (Mom and Dad) agree that you will live.

To whom it may concern
I'm 15 and my step-mom is thanking about divorcing my dad. He has been a bad husband and father so I agree with her decision. May I chose to live with her? Please help I feel trapped.

You could be required to live with your mother, or your father.

You won't be required to live with your stepmother, as she has no parental rights, insofar as you are concerned.

You should discuss with your mother or your father about their plans for you, and let them know your wishes.

I'm sure you'll learn to like the result.

Your mother or father get to provide input.

A stepparent has no say, and no standing.

Good luck.

At 15, you do not have the right to make a choice and have it be binding on the court. If your father agrees to allow you to live with your stepmother, that's fine, you can. But if Dad says you come live with him, then you come live with him unless a court says otherwise.

You can make it known whom you wish to live with but it's Mom &/or Dad's decision (not step Mom's decision).

If your legal parents agree you can live with step mom, you may. Otherwise, it is going to be a very uphill battle for your step parent to get custody of you. It *can* be done, but is an expensive and arduous process, reserved for the most extreme cases where you might be harmed by any other course. It is not an option because you like your step mom better, or do not think your legal parents are very good ones.

To whom it may concern

Who has custody of you right now? Your father or your mother? No you can't live with her unless your parents allow you to live with her. Where is your mom if she doesn't have custody?

Back