Hello!!

Mr. Puggles

Jurisdiction
North Carolina
Hello,
I'm asking for a close friend. He had to go to family court for a modification of child support. He was also ordered to pay the mothers attorney's fees in the amount of $750 for a year. The new order amount for child support is draining him. The case was in Georgia, and he now lives in N.C. Is there any way to reduce this amount from $750.00 a month to something he can afford, like $100.00 a month? What can they do if he doesn't pay? Between the increase in child support and the fees, he has no money left for himself. Thanks, R

The man needs to discuss his concerns with a licensed lawyer or two in NC.

These days once the child support police get you, there's nothing you can do to ease the pain but DIE.

Going to prison won't stop it, becoming disabled helps a tad, getting lower wages might help somewhat.

The best way to avoid child support, don't have sex with members of the sex opposite from yours.

If he stops paying, the debt only increases while the child support police move to intercept tax returns, take his drivers license, any occupational licenses, any assets he might possess, death is the only way to beat it, even going to another country won't help, unless its some filth hole like North Korea.

The man needs to discuss his concerns with a licensed lawyer or two in NC.

These days once the child support police get you, there's nothing you can do to ease the pain but DIE.

Going to prison won't stop it, becoming disabled helps a tad, getting lower wages might help somewhat.

The best way to avoid child support, don't have sex with members of the sex opposite from yours.

If he stops paying, the debt only increases while the child support police move to intercept tax returns, take his drivers license, any occupational licenses, any assets he might possess, death is the only way to beat it, even going to another country won't help, unless its some filth hole like North Korea.

He's not looking to get out of the child support, just can't pay the lawyers fees. He understands that he must, and has always paid the support. He just went back to court to fight it, and it got raised on him, plus he got hit with the attorneys fees. Now with the increased child support (because he does make more money now) its hard to pay the opposing parties fees. Just wondering if there is a way to lower the payment or just not pay the fees. Thanks,

He has been court ordered to pay. The only way to NOT pay is to go back to court which might just anger the judge. I would think chances of getting it reversed are slim, but that's just my opinion and I don't know his financial situation. Most of the time when someone says they can't afford something, it really means they just don't want to pay because it will interfere with other ways they prefer to spend their money. Of course he can try, but he will incur some travel expense to go back to court to do so.

agree with the others - and it seems he went back to court and the judge already disagrees that he can't afford it. Sounds like he was the one that required the court date and it seems like the judge decided that since he brought the court date/attorney fee up for his ex-spouse that he should be responsible for it (i.e that it was frivolous) Did he not consider the fact that his income had gone up and it was possible that the court would raise his child support amount? Does he not have an attorney of his own? I

If he doesn't pay, he will go into arrears, possibility be assessed interest and penalties and in the end owe MORE than what he is paying currently. Along with all sorts of other consequences mentioned above. At this point his only choice is going to be how he will get it paid even if he has to lower other expenses.

And to claim he can only afford $100 a month. As a mom, I can tell you that child's food alone is more than $100 a month! He really thinks his child should live on $3.33 a day?

Does he have a gym membership? cancel it . Does he have cabletv? Lower the options or cancel it. Does he eat out at lunch everyday? Pack a brown bag.....etc Do it for the child!

The amount the OP is talking is the attorney's fees, not the child support. That $750 a month is going directly to the attorney to pay the ex's attorney fees so it doesn't go toward supporting the child. They are addressing the attorney's fees as completely separate from the child support, and nowhere does it say that they want to see the child support lowered to $100/month.

It's confusing. She says the attorney fees are $750.00 per year, then she mentions $100 per month, so I read it the same way that she meant the child support @ $100 per month.

It's confusing. She says the attorney fees are $750.00 per year, then she mentions $100 per month, so I read it the same way that she meant the child support @ $100 per month.
At the beginning she said "$750 for a year" so it seems that she left out the "per month" part there, but then later in the original post she asked if it was possible to "reduce this amount from $750 a month to something he could afford" and then clarified in a subsequent post that he's not trying to get out of the child support, it's just that he can't afford the attorney's fees on top of what he's already paying in child support.

$750 per month for a year is $9,000, so when you think about what attorneys charge that makes a lot more sense than $750 per year....the attorneys I deal with charge that much for just two hours of their time!

Maybe the OP will come back and clarify. Because I am reading $750 a year for attorney fees and then the other numbers as child support per month since he said there was a "new order amount for child support was draining him", but could be wrong on how I am reading it. Yes, $750 a month in attorney fees is ridiculous!

If the owner of the doggy doesn't see a REAL LAWYER, he'll continue to get gouged.

There is no help on the internet for real life legal issues, NONE, NADA, ZILCH.

Real legal help cones from licensed attorneys in your state.

Back