Quiet Enjoyment Heater on timer

Status
Not open for further replies.

evica

Hello,

My landlord put the gas heater on timer, so it is working only few hours during the day and exacly at the time when I am not home, so basically for me it is not working properly. Unfortunately, he went on holiday and I can't contact him.. Before he went on holiday he put on the heater big writing ''do not touch'' and told other tenant that we are not allowed to put heating on in different hours. He didnt speak to me directly about that, so when it was extremely cold in the house i put it on. But now we are run out of gas, and we have to top-up it on our own, because landlord is not in the country. What is more, i don't have written contract, but when I was moving in, he didnt told me anything about any limits on gas etc.
Do I have any basis to seek for charge for the inconvenience?
Is there any legal basis which apply directy to this problem? (London, GB)

Thank You for Your help.

Gail is right about us not knowing about law in the UK. However, I can not imagine that your laws would allow for a landlord to control your heat for you. I would think that would interfere with your "quiet enjoyment" of the property. That concept is, afterall an English common law concept. Please consult a solicitor or barrister in your country.

Who pays for the gas?

Even if you are not paying for the gas, it does seem wrong to have a timer on the heater.
It seems a better option for the landlord (assuming the landlord is paying for the gas currently), is to raise rent cost to cover the expense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back