He was her father at conception

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bethbd

My daughter is now 22 years old. I was never married to her father. He was in the Army and it was a fling. I ended up pregnant. He lives in another state. Paternity was not proven until my daughter was 13 years old. Her father kept dodging court requests from Michigan. The courts have his social security number and are able to figure out where he is through his employment. He has never met my daughter, nor ever acknowledge her as his child. He currently lives in Tennessee, I believe.
The Michigan Court ordered him to pay $272/month in child support. This support was only to begin at the time paternity was proven. So, for 13 years I supported her as a single parent. I went to college, held jobs and pretty much lived on school loans.
This man payed support here and there for 5 years. Sometimes we would receive a check for $18 or sometimes $118, and some months we received nothing at all. Just from time she was age 13 to age 18, he is in arrears over $2,000. I keep being reassured by Friend of the Court that "he will be held accountable to pay this child support to you". I have received nothing. I am having to repay those student loans that I used to help support my daughter all those years. I understand that is my responsibility...but it would sure be helpful to have that child support arrearage paid up. I never understood WHY he wasn't responsible to pay for the first 13 years of my daughters life. If paternity was proven at age 13, it must certainly prove that he was her father at conception. Do I have any legal avenues I can follow regarding 13 years with no child support? How do I get the support he still owes? I have asked our Friend of the Court here and they told me "it is up to the state in which he lives to enforce the child support payments to Michigan". I have asked for the name and address of the court or attorney in the state where he lives. Our Friend of Court told me, "you are not allowed to contact them directly, contact must be made through our office". Unfortunately, they must be overwhelmed with cases and interstate cases are more difficult they say. I have not had any kind of help in this enforcement.
Any thoughts and advice would be sincerely appreciated!

It should not of taken you 13 years to establish paternity. Even if he was slow or the courts were slow, if you did not establish paternity until 13 you cannot receive the support before then. You have the responsibility of proving paternity. conception does not matter. If you are unmarried there are avenues you have to go through if he does not sign the birth paperwork.

It should not of taken you 13 years to establish paternity. Even if he was slow or the courts were slow, if you did not establish paternity until 13 you cannot receive the support before then. You have the responsibility of proving paternity. conception does not matter. If you are unmarried there are avenues you have to go through if he does not sign the birth paperwork.
Thank you for your quick response. I applied for State aid (medicaid, food stamps) when I was pregnant with my daughter. From day one I met with Friend of the Court, naming him as the father (I had to file for support immediately in order to receive aid through the state of MI). There couldn't possibly have been any one else as her father, as I was not involved with any other man. I did not name him on the birth certificate because I was very young and was afraid he would somehow take her from me. I went to all of my meetings with the FOC attorney and workers. I feel I did take responsibility. Thank you though for answering so quickly, even though I was hoping to hear a different answer :) I still do not understand why he's not accountable for her first 13 years, but I guess my lesson is learned. Do you happen to know if I have any way to get the arrearage of over $2,000 that he never paid? I married for the first time a year ago. My daughter is now planning to get married next summer. I am currently paying off college loans I took out. This money would be very helpful to me and my daughter.

You cannot just name somebody as the father. This is how fraud takes place. Do you know how many women name men as fathers and DNA turns out they are not? Since you were not married and he did not sign the birth paperwork, he is not acknowledging paternity so legally it has to be established first. You did not even put him on the birth cert and the laws of your state may have prevent that anyways if he was not present.

If he has an actual arrears for child support you file a complaint BUT I'll warn you, since your daughter is emancipated and it is sucha low amount, child support enforcement may not do anything. They are overworked and understaffed. If there is an arrearage if he files taxes next year and gets a refund the return should get intercepted,

You cannot just name somebody as the father. This is how fraud takes place. Do you know how many women name men as fathers and DNA turns out they are not? Since you were not married and he did not sign the birth paperwork, he is not acknowledging paternity so legally it has to be established first. You did not even put him on the birth cert and the laws of your state may have prevent that anyways if he was not present.

If he has an actual arrears for child support you file a complaint BUT I'll warn you, since your daughter is emancipated and it is sucha low amount, child support enforcement may not do anything. They are overworked and understaffed. If there is an arrearage if he files taxes next year and gets a refund the return should get intercepted,
Duranie, I thank you for your time and response. I get the sense that I have somehow annoyed you or insulted you with my questions. I apologize. I only entered my questions because my husband asked his own and was given good response. I thought I would try out this forum and try to understand what my options were with my own problem. I agree that child support enforcement workers are overworked and understaffed. And I certainly won't expect any speedy results. $2000 may be a low amount in your view, but it would take a good chunk outa my school loan debt, it would help pay towards my daughter's wedding or her books for college, or it would probably cover a good 6 months of groceries. It is a large amount to us! Again, I am sorry to have taken up your time.

You have not annoyed me at all, I'm sorry if I came across that way. It's the internet so you are not hearing my tone which is not meant to be harsh.

Just trying to explain why it's not reasonable to award you 13 years of back support. There are lots of women who do not even tell men they are fathers and then file a child support order 15 years later. The courts want to discourage that and it would not be fair to force a guy to pay 15 years of back support for a child he didn't know he had.

Certainly call Child support enforcement and see if they will do anything but chances are decent you will get his tax return if he files for 2008 and is owed a refund.

I know in AZ, CSE pretty much will not do anything unless you are behind 5k. They just do not have the manpower to chase everyone down.

Happy Holidays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back