Roomate Havent seen roommate, He owes back rent and left his belongings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greggnyc

I had a friend who contacted me because he said he had no where to go he was put out by a family member, then went to stay with another and had to leave for lack of space. He called me an ask if he could stay with me and i said on some certain conditions. We agreed that he would contribute 250.00 on the 15th and the 30th of each month, which included utilities. Almost every time his rent was due it was always late. Since aug 15 he has not contributed a single dime. He left the house about a week later saying that he was going to get the money he owed. I have not heard from him since that day. Some of my friends say i should contact him but my position is that he left saying he would return and why should i contact him when he knows his responsibilities. Now the question is how long does he have to pay me and retrieve his belongings before its considered abandoned? If he does not return what am i liable to do with his belongings? Can they be sold? Donated? or discarded?

He has already been gone long enough that you can remove his property if you like, but don't destroy it. You can safely change your locks as well. Keep the property somewhere safe until you are certain about time requirements for storage. I would attempt to return it to family members.
He only had a biweekly lease with you and that simplifies things quite a bit.
You should make a couple calls and see if your buddy is in jail somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back