Have you seen one of these critters?

army judge

Super Moderator
As the weather warms up people begin spending more time in their yards, parks, and outdoors, more people could come home with a rash or bug bite.

Have you seen me?

pussc.JPG

This fact sheet might prove to be useful, if you encounter a pal or two of the hairy critter above this line.

IPM Action Plan for Stinging Caterpillars

hairy1.JPG

hairy2.JPG

The first pic looks like a fur ball from a cat or dog. ...or a tribble from Star Trek.

Indeed it do, but its known as a "puss caterpillar" or "southern flannel moth".

Looks kinda like a Chinese dumpling to me, except its furry/hairy.

The puss caterpillar, Megalopyge opercularis, is about an inch long and looks almost cuddly with its covering of long, soft hair, but it's one of the most venomous caterpillars in the United States. When touched, the spines release a toxin that causes immediate pain and burning, usually accompanied by a rash and swelling. Victims may experience headaches, low blood pressure, nausea and fever, and can become ill enough to require medical treatment.

pusscmouth.jpg

pussc.jpg

Indeed it do, but its known as a "puss caterpillar" or "southern flannel moth".

Looks kinda like a Chinese dumpling to me, except its furry/hairy.

The puss caterpillar, Megalopyge opercularis, is about an inch long and looks almost cuddly with its covering of long, soft hair, but it's one of the most venomous caterpillars in the United States. When touched, the spines release a toxin that causes immediate pain and burning, usually accompanied by a rash and swelling. Victims may experience headaches, low blood pressure, nausea and fever, and can become ill enough to require medical treatment.

View attachment 2571

View attachment 2572
Gross.

Back