Has Landlord crossed the line?

Status
Not open for further replies.

surfin3591

Here is the synopsis of my case. I lived at an apt. complex and had a dog, of which I paid the $500 non-refundable pet deposit fee. My lease had expired, and I had a verbal agreement with the landlord to go month-to-month. He never divulged any information about requirements for giving notice before leaving. I called a month before I planned to leave and asked the front office associate if there was anything I needed to do before I left at the end of the month. Again, I was told no, just drop off your apt. keys before you leave. On the day of my departure, the landlord and I got into
an argument; he stated that I was to give 15 days notice, even though I called a month ahead of time and was told I didnt need to do anything. I now have a collection out on my credit report for pet damages and 15 days rent since I didn't give notice. But even more now, they put the collection out on my fiance's credit report too, BUT she never signed the lease. I originally had cosigned the lease with my father, she was never on it. This situation has now destroyed both of our credit scores. My question is, do we have a right to counter sue for damages to her credit and "pain and suffering" to outweigh the charges against me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back