Harassment, Stalking, Misconduct harrassment/alarm/annoy/distressing conduct

Status
Not open for further replies.

haralm

My friend have a situation here, and I'd like to seek your expert opinion on his behalf (he is not quite computer literate).
The charge by the police reads as follows:
harassment-insult taunt challenge another or alarming distressing conduct.
This all stemed from an incident:
My friend (the man) had an dispute with a lady and went to her apartment to confront her. She called the police, and the police gave the man a restraint order, which basically says that he cannot approach her, and her apartment, etc.
A couple of hours after the police left, the lady called the police again, saying that the man came back, and asked the police to arrest the man. The man got arrested and charged by the police with the above offense.
When the man was arrested, he denied the fact that he came back to the lady after the police left. He was given a court date which is comming up.
Right now, the lady would like to have the police drop the charges against the man. Afterall, they are friends, and the man did not do anything harmful, he did not make any threat during the dispute.
So, how can the lady make the police drop the charge against the man? What paper work and statement does the lady need to fill out to nullify the charge against the man?
Thank you very much for your help

I'm not sure how this is handled but she may wish to tell the prosecutor that she will either fail to appear or tell him the truth that the situation really wasn't as bad and that now, in a moment of clarity, she realizes she overreacted and will say so in court. I personally like to have some written collaboration if I could get it, but that's just me thinking strategically.

I haven't dealt with this situation much but in dealing with a friend who is a former ADA, he said that situations like this would happen all the time. Problem is that the prosecutor will want to talk the lady into going to court because abused women frequently will back off complaints, if they even get that far. The charges are serious and you cannot have people complaining in this manner and think it should all go away.

haralm said:
My friend have a situation here, and I'd like to seek your expert opinion on his behalf (he is not quite computer literate).
The charge by the police reads as follows:
harassment-insult taunt challenge another or alarming distressing conduct.
This all stemed from an incident:
My friend (the man) had an dispute with a lady and went to her apartment to confront her. She called the police, and the police gave the man a restraint order, which basically says that he cannot approach her, and her apartment, etc.
A couple of hours after the police left, the lady called the police again, saying that the man came back, and asked the police to arrest the man. The man got arrested and charged by the police with the above offense.
When the man was arrested, he denied the fact that he came back to the lady after the police left. He was given a court date which is comming up.
Right now, the lady would like to have the police drop the charges against the man. Afterall, they are friends, and the man did not do anything harmful, he did not make any threat during the dispute.
So, how can the lady make the police drop the charge against the man? What paper work and statement does the lady need to fill out to nullify the charge against the man?
Thank you very much for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back