Harassment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Euphoriclysinfu

I began work at a local pizza franchise that is one of the largest nationwide pizza chains. While at first, the work environment was somewhat friendly (which in a large part was due to the fact that many of my friends held jobs there too) it quickly turned abusive. I rarely ever heard my name coming out of the managers mouth. Instead I was called a "f-g", "p---y", "Polack", and all other such terms on an extremely frequent basis (at least a few times each workday). While sometimes it was as a result of some small mistake, most of the time it would be unprovoked. I didn't respond in a similar manner for fear of losing my job although some other employees did. This type of harassment wasn't just directed at me as a lot of homophobic and deragatory names were thrown at others, although at a lesser frequency. Some of the girls were sexually harssed by the managers as well and other emplyees, much older than the girls, would say sexually explicit things while they were gone. There was also a large affair about drugs as the manager was also a dealer and used a few former employees as pushers...although my knowledge as to these details is limited.
I quit the job less than a month ago after finally getting sick of the abuse. After giving my two weeks notice the manager continued to harass me for 2 hours calling me a quitter repeadatly among many much more deragatory words. Than he had the nerve to ask me to close that day and I asked simply "you do realize you just called me all these things for the last two hours, right?" At that point he told me to give him his uniform back (which was paid for) and told me to leave the store, although he did this in a lot less controlled way than described. I walked out calmly (although since I was fired and this man was screaming at me "suck my d---" over and over loudly as I was walking out, I flicked him off) and haven't been back since than, except to pick up my final check when only one of my friends was working.

Sorry about the post length but what exactly can I do? My father is pretty stuck on talking to other parents and getting a lawsuit together but I simply feel I've been harmed by the behavior and would like to do as much as possible to make sure such behavior is discontinued, whether compensation is provided or not.

Last edited:
The manager being a world class jerk is not against the law. If individuals were singled out for less favorable treatment BECAUSE OF their gender, race, national origin, religion, etc. that is prohibited discrimination. Other than the sexual harassment incidents you mention (which didn't involve you), nothing you describe specifically suggests unlawful discrimination occurred as it appears the manager treated everyone badly.

The manager's behavior is entirely unacceptible however, even if largely legal. I suggest you and some of your former co-workers contact corporate headquarters of this pizza chain and inform them what's going on in that workplace.

You were wise to keep yourself under control on your way out the door. There's no sense sinking to the level of an individual like that, no matter how tempting it is in the moment to respond in kind.

If your dad is intent on pursuing legal action, it would be a very good idea for him to consult with an employment law attorney before doing anything further. He may well discover there is no basis to sue. A letter writing campaign to corporate might prove quite effective to have this manager removed or the francise license revoked however.

That depends on a lot of particulars. Calling someone a fag, a polack, or terms of a similar nature is incredibly rude, ignorant, and offensive of course but it's not against the law.

Occasional instances of calling someone an offensive or slang name does not constitute prohibited discrimination. If there is a pervasive atmosphere of discrimination due to an individual (or group of individuals) being singled out for abusive or less favorable treatment because of their age, race, gender, national origin, religion, etc., that constitutes a hostile work environment.

Calling someone a fag might only constitute discrimination IF (1) the individual were homosexual, and (2) if sexual orientation is a protected characteristic in the State where the individual works. Sexual orientation is not protected by federal laws.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back