Harassment via Text Messaging

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishhope81

My question is this...

If someone sends a text message via cell phone to someone else and gets a responce from that person that they view to be offensive, can the original sender claim harassment and file charges? Assume that the exchanging of text messages continued for a few hours back and forth.

Everything that is deemed offensive is not harassment. If someone responds to a text message with a response that you consider offensive, that is not enough for a harassment claim.

what if the responce is in a threatening manner? such as "i want my money or i'm taking you to court!"...suppose foul language was used.

suppose the person who initiated the responce and the responder were exchanging text messages over the course of several hours. lets say at some point, one of the persons texted "i have no desire to communicate with you" and the responder sent another message asking for an explanation as to why? can the person who requests the communication to end have a case then?

"I want my money or I'm taking you to court" is not an illegal threat. One might even consider it a statement of fact.

I hardly think a single post asking for an explanation is going to push it over into illegal. But since you clearly want it to be, suppose you take all the facts instead of suppositions to an attorney in your state and explain how you are being harmed by these messages and why you can't simply turn the phone off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back