Harassment from neighbors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackm

A large 13 people family moved in next door to me six years ago. They have 7 vehicles and our neighborhood simply has no room for their extra vehicles (3 of which are only used occasionally). My wife and myself, as well as members of 3 other of their immediate neighbors have explained to them on numerous occasions that they need to do something different as we have no on-street parking for ourselves and our guests. They will drive 4 vehicles to work daily, leaving their driveway clear and have the other 3 vehicles saving valuble parking spots in the street. They take up 2 spots directly in front of their home as well as 5 other spots directly accross the street. We call Abandoned Vehicle Hotline every time that they violate the 72 hour law to have their vehicle(s) marked and warned.
About one year ago to date a friend of mine was having a birthday party up the street with alot of little kids playing baseball in the street with a tennis ball. One of my next door neighbors 7 cars were parked accross the street from the party close to where the kids were playing baseball. The tennis ball struck the car a couple of times, and of course the car alarm would sound. On the second time the alarm sounded, my next door neighbor jumped into his Ford F150 pickup and drove 40 to 50 yards up the street to silence the alarm. After he reset the alarm he threw the truck into reverse, smoked the tires and sped back to his house at about 40mph. All of this took place when there were little kids playing all over the place in the street where he was speeding.
One of the father's of the kids walked to my neighbor's house, stopped in front on the sidewalk and told the guy that he could not drive like that in the neighborhood as it is unsafe for the kids playing in the street. My neighbor shoved my friend, my friend shoved my neighbor back. Then out of nowhere my next door neighbor's father came out of the garage with a big stick and struck the kid's father in the head with it. Well, it was definately on then... The neighbor who had just been struck got up and preceded to mop up the place with the guy who had initially shoved him.
Then the father with the stick positioned himself behind kid's father to hit him in the back of the head with the stick. Another one of my good neighbors ran up and tackled
the guy with stick. Immediately after the fight stopped, (over 15 people were involved in some way, 5 of them were my bad neighbors) the guy who started the fight by shoving my neighbor stood out in his driveway yelling and screaming obscenities and racial slurs at all of the other neighbors involved. Funny thing is that 1/2 to 3/4 of the people involved were all hispanic. My young daughters saw the whole thing unravel from my garage and had to hear the racial slurs as well.
4 people were ambulanced to the hospital, and my neighbor who hit my friend with the stick was arrested and held overnight for assault and battery with a deadly weapon after being released from the hospital. Over one year later the case is not even through the Preliminary stage to go to trial.
I was not there during the fight as I was at work so I was not involved.
Since then it has been a real pissing contest for my bad neighbors to see how mad that they can make us. Every time we call the Police for abandoned vehicles, vehicle leaking so badly that Illicit Discharge has to be called. Having to call Police because 4 adult males next door to me stand out in their driveway and glare at me, my kids, and all of the other neighbors trying to get a rise out of someone. Every time any Police or Code Enforcement staff arrived after we call them my bad neighbors claim it is because they are Mexican. Over 3/4 of my neighborhood is Latino, so I really don't think that is what is going on.
They continuously sound their car alarms when they see that we are outside just to stir the pot. When they leave or pull up with their cars they rev the engines at us when we are out front. I have installed a 4-camera time elapsed surveillance system on the front of my home after the fight because I obviously do not trust my next door neighbors. This way if anything breaks loose in front of my house again I will have video to back up our story.
The other evening when I was at work, my wife (who is also Latina) attempted to talk to the crazy neighbor who started the fight last October. My 16 year old daughter was in the garage doing her nails and listening to my wife tell the guy that we have to work on this as it is not right that we are tired of being treated as if we have done something wrong. The crazy neighbor then walk away into his garage.
I arrived shortly afterwards to see 3 Police cars parked in front of my next door neighbor's house. There were 4 officers at my neighbor's door talking with them. I stood out in my driveway to flag down one of the officers when they left. I asked one of them if I could speak with them and he walked over to me while the other 3 officers stayed in front of my neighbor's home. As soon as my neighbors saw me trying to get the officer's attention 4 of them walked very quickly towards me with clentched fists, trying to get past the 3 officers standing in front of their home. The 3 officers had to herd them back to the front of their home.
I bet if the Police were not there I would have had 4 adult males pounding on me.
I asked the officer why they were here and he said my neighbors called 9 1 1 complaining that my wife was yelling at them and threatening them. I spoke with my wife and daughter and they claim that it was all calm dialog with no threats or yelling at all. My surveillance video confirms what my daughter and wife told me.
We are working with the City to try to get a permit parking ordinance passed as the parking situation in my entire neighborhood is horrible. But is an extremely slow process and the city has been dragging their feet for over a year now.
What, if any legal action can I or we take against my bad neighbors? I want to send an extremely clear message to my next door neighbors that we will no longer tolerate the harassment and that we (as a neighborhood) are prepared to to legally do something about it.
I understand that there is nothing that can be done about the parking problem. We are just totaly sick and tired of being sick and tired of the harassive nature of this large family.

Thank you,
Jackm

Q: What, if any legal action can I or we take against my bad neighbors?

A: I know of no legal action which makes bad neighbors good. Try calling the cops.

Start by talking to the neighbor about the problem, If that doesn't work, then write a letter, then use mediation, then call the police, if appropriate. Filing a complaint in court should be a last resort.

Mediation: This is a method of solving disputes with the help of a neutral third party. Call a mediator when you become emotional and get stuck thinking that there's only one way to solve your problem. To find a mediator, check with you local courthouse or police, or look in the Yellow Pages. Some attorneys are also mediators, so your local or state bar association might offer listings.

Thank you for the response.
We have called them on numerous occasions. They don't want to get involved in civil stuff like this. We do not think that we can make them good neighbors, as they have shown that is not possible. They were bad from the starting gate. We want them out. They own the home, and there is no homeownwers association here to help us. Maybe if we hit them with some class action suit they would possibly sell. Believe me, they are under far more stress than we are as the whole neighborhood wants them gone. We do not want any more violence from that house. What do you think?

Thanks for the response.
I have personally spoken with all of the adult males at least twice about it. They get very combative from the start. They position themselves around you and try to get a rise out of you. My other neighbors have expressed thier opinions as well to them with the same results. They definately are the most stubborn and ill-mannered folks I have ever met.
I currently am trying to find a mediator through the local Police. I just need to know if that fails do we as a neighrhood united have a leg to stand on.
THank you.

I dont know the ansewer to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back