Harassment by employer's business owner.

K

kings241

Jurisdiction
California
Up until today i was working for a small storage rental business for about 3 months. Everything was going great up until this week. My owner had been comming by my office to check up on how everything was going, told me im doing everything great except for vacuming the floor and mopping the bathroom. Keep in my mind i was never supplied with neither equipment to complete the task but i still continued to listen and comply with his requests. The conflict that occured though is with how he communicated with me in regards to his demands. Without cause, he repeatedly explained his job requirements to me using foul and offensive language but i did not complain until the next day. Right as i completed filing all my paper work and start organizing the cabinets he walks into the office and congradulates me for the number of contracts i got the previous day. Then he asks me how long does each contract take and before i can respond he tells me that each contract takes a hour and visually shows me that i waste the rest of my time masturbating by moving his hands in a up and down motion while laughing at me. That crossed the line in my view and later that day i spoke to him about the incidint. We talked for about 30 mins and he told me my options were that i continue to accept his harrasement while continueing to work there or leave. I told him i enjoy working for his business, i have no issues with the job duties or responsibility but that i wont continue tolerating his offensive behavior towards me. Then he simply fired me. Sorry for making this story long but i was just wondering if theres anything i can do legally because i just feel i wrongly got terminated. I never missed a day or late, no prior conflicts or problems that occured, and my supervisor that trained me said i was doing great. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Unfortunately if you're an at-will employee without an employment contract, you can be terminated at any time. Without any proof to support your claims (assuming an action exists), any case you may hope to bring would be difficult at best. I won't get into details about actionable claims, proof, a pattern of misconduct, etc.

This doesn't mean you can't complain to someone higher up in the company about your experience with the supervisor and see what happens. At the very least your supervisor might regret having been so disrespectful to you and, at best, it results in your being rehired along with a new supervisor. Wish you the best of luck.

Agree, file for unemployment ins. (the state will decide if you qualify) & also look for other employment. Good luck.

Back