Harassing Neighbors

Status
Not open for further replies.

corfiela

I am currently embroiled in a dispute with some neighbors over an easement. We bought a property which we enter on to via an easement shaped like an L. The property was formerly farm land and the place where people drove sort of meandered. We measured where the easement really lies and discovered we were actually driving in the neighbor's yard as well as up on to our property. So, we told the neighbor we were going to drive on the easement and we expected him to do so as well and not drive in to our property.

He didn't believe us. We hired an attorney, who explained our deed to us and outlined our rights. We shared with the neighbor, trying to keep it friendly, but he just became belligerent and threatened to sue. He hired his own lawyer and we've been negotiating our mutual use of this easement.

It's been a nightmare. The neighbor has harassed us with signs, notes and letters. He's dumped dirt and garbage on the easement to impede our use. He's gotten drunk and yelled and cursed at us. I am to the point where I am feeling physically ill as I drive out to the property. I am afraid to be there and always make sure to carry all our legal documents with me as well as a camera and to keep my cell phone on my person at all times.

Another neighbor has joined in. He has no legal right to the easement, but he wants to use it to get a garage he built in an inconvenient place. He's trying to get the neighbor to sell him the easement.

I can't imagine utilizing this property for what we bought it for. We'll have to sell it and with the improvements we've made, will probably take a loss.

Do I have a civil case against these people? I would like to recoup some of the money we've lost and will lose.

Thanks for your advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back