harassing neighbor making up things

Status
Not open for further replies.

sxmoore

I have lived in my home in a mid-city neighborhood for twenty years. A year ago my neighbor (of twenty years) moved and sold his house to his sister and brother-in-law who had been renting elsewhere in the neighborhood. Within a week of them moving in, I started receiving nasty phone calls and messages about my dogs barking "incessantly." At the time, my dogs were outside from around 7:30 am until 5:00 and then only out again to do their business around 9-10:00 pm. They did bark briefly at the neighbor's cat or at a strange car or person in our alley. After months of harrassment--including yelling at my daughter and me from her bedroom window as we were heading to school in the morning.

This woman does not work or drive. She is about 60 and her brother has told me she has psychological problems. In one of the nasty calls she said, "You know I cannot get back to sleep after I wake up." She wanted me to put bark collars on my dogs and wanted me to not let them out until after 8:30.

I finally wrote her a letter demanding that she not contact us. I posted a "no trespassing" sign on my porch. Also, for my sanity, I stopped leaving the dogs out during the day and made sure they did not bark when they went out in the morning and evening. Every once in a while they bark for 30 seconds, but as soon as I hear them, I call them in.

Everything was fine for about six months. For reasons not important to this post, we relocated out inside cat to a safe place outside and under the house about two weeks ago. During this time, our curious younger dog has sniffed and barked at the cat a little more than usual, but I have called her in within minutes of hearing her bark.

Yesterday, my daughter and I came home--after volunteering for four hours at our local humane society--and my neighbor started yelling at us from her front yard. I just ignored her and walked in, but my 14 year old daughter was behind me and heard the neighbor say something about having the dogs taken away. This upset her so much, that she went out side and told the neighbor that she was "scaring the crap out of her." She said, "Those are my pets and I am afraid you are going to have them taken away." I sent my daughter back in and tried talking calmly to the neighbor. She said I was the most rude person she knew and that I had no compassion. I'll stop here and just say there is no reasoning with this woman.

I have done everything I think a reasonble person would do to satisfy another reasonable person. My dogs do not bark incessantly. If they bark it is for a few minutes when they go out to do their business. I cannot help that this woman has some sort of sleeping disorder and think it is unreasonable to put bark collars on dogs that bark only briefly and usually appropriately.

I am angry that she has frightened my daughter. The last thing she said to me yesterday during our "discussion," was "You just wait and see."

What can or should I do, if anything.

I'm not sure you can do much of anything at this point.

The neighbor cannot just get the dogs taken away. If the dogs are cared for, properly licensed and vaccinated, then any report of excessive barking to the proper authorities would result in an investigation and not generally in their seizure. However, if whatever ordinance or state law is in effect for this situation is violated, they might be taken from you. but, any seizure of property will have be done with due process - this usually includes a hearing or some exigent circumstance (usually concerning the welfare of the animals).

At this point, about all you can do is monitor and restrict the dog's barking. If they have a tendency to bark when you are not at home, then you need to address it. Even if for a few seconds at a time, a number of these incidents every day can be VERY annoying.

- Carl

Thank you for the quick reponse. My dogs are well cared for and only go out when I am home. When they bark, I quickly call them in and barking is usually not an everyday occurrence. However, I take it from your response that any barking at all that is complained about is my problem. Correct?

Thank you for the quick reponse. My dogs are well cared for and only go out when I am home. When they bark, I quickly call them in and barking is usually not an everyday occurrence. However, I take it from your response that any barking at all that is complained about is my problem. Correct?
I'm saying that any barking CAN be your problem. It is entirely possible that repeated barking can be a violation of the law wherever you live. At the very least, it can be annoying for the neighbors even if it is not unlawful.

If this is a problem, you might be obligated to take some action.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back