Handyman seeks refuge in unit he was working on

michael R peck

Jurisdiction
Florida
I am a board member in a 3-story low rise HOA over 55 community. A handyman that lives nearby has been hired occasionally by folks in the community although I believe he is working beyond the scope of work he is allowed to do.He has been hospitalized for substance abuse and involved in a hit and run incident that got him probation. He is often intoxicated and postures aggressively with people in the community. It has now come to our attention that he was kicked out of his dwelling with his girlfriend across the street and somehow has been able to get permission from an elderly woman whose unit he is working on to live in her unit while she is away seasonally. To me that borders an elder law issue but that's another story.What can we do to get him out and what specifically does the 80/20 law speak to with regard to "own and occupy"

I am a board member in a 3-story low rise HOA over 55 community. A handyman that lives nearby has been hired occasionally by folks in the community although I believe he is working beyond the scope of work he is allowed to do.He has been hospitalized for substance abuse and involved in a hit and run incident that got him probation. He is often intoxicated and postures aggressively with people in the community. It has now come to our attention that he was kicked out of his dwelling with his girlfriend across the street and somehow has been able to get permission from an elderly woman whose unit he is working on to live in her unit while she is away seasonally. To me that borders an elder law issue but that's another story.What can we do to get him out and what specifically does the 80/20 law speak to with regard to "own and occupy"
Any options you have would be contained in your community bylaws.

What can we do to get him out

Nothing in your post suggests that "we" (you and whoever else) have any legal ability to do this.

what specifically does the 80/20 law speak to with regard to "own and occupy"

According to a quick google search, the "80/20 rule" is part of a federal law called the Housing for Older Persons Act and allows certain housing communities to engage in discrimination that would otherwise be illegal under the federal Fair Housing Act. In a nutshell, 80% or more of the units in the community must have at least one occupant who is at least 55 years older.

Doesn't sound like this has any relevance to the situation you described.

Nothing in your post suggests that "we" (you and whoever else) have any legal ability to do this.
It's possible that the community bylaws have some sort of prohibition on renting units out.

Back