handling my own divorce

Status
Not open for further replies.

ginelle

I'm not satisfied with my lawyer's services. I'm thinking to handle my divorce by myself with some legal aid I'll can find. My divorce involves alimony, child custody and assets. My husband has a good lawyer and I charged all my credit cards in a lawyer that did very little for my case. I'm asking to have some advice to begin the process, the hearing is for Febuary but I want to postpone the date to seek for some legal aid to be prepared for the hearing. I'll appeciate any advice.

How many divorce cases have you handled before?

What is the standard in your state for custody?

What forms do you file showing child support calculations?

You can only terminate your attorney with approval of the court. if you feel that your current attorney did not effectively represent you, you can file with the state bar for a return of some of your money.

As SJ said, this is not something to do on your own.

Thanks for your advice, I know it will be not easy. My lawyer wants me to pay for her service even though the one who took my case was her assistant. Her assistant is a lawyer, but it is so suspicious that she told me that she can't represent me in court. Her assistant told me one thing in her office and when we went to mediation everything was different. I was the one who defended myself in mediation. My husband is the one who is satisfied with all of this, he has a good lawyer. I'm thinking to hired a state attorney that is not so expensive like mine have been.

p.s.- Sorry for my english, it's not my first language.

You can only terminate your attorney with approval of the court. if you feel that your current attorney did not effectively represent you, you can file with the state bar for a return of some of your money.

As SJ said, this is not something to do on your own.

Show me the law Iwpat. I will fired a lawyer at anytime(have done so several times when I too was ignorant of the law).

You can even fire your court appointed lawyer at anytime. There is NO law, or case history to back up such a neglegent statement as the one in red.

As to the green, perhaps you can explain why I won full custody and control of my son, when she had a lawyer, and I stood before the court In Propria Persona. I won't hold my breath.

Last edited:
I'm not satisfied with my lawyer's services. I'm thinking to handle my divorce by myself with some legal aid I'll can find. My divorce involves alimony, child custody and assets. My husband has a good lawyer and I charged all my credit cards in a lawyer that did very little for my case. I'm asking to have some advice to begin the process, the hearing is for Febuary but I want to postpone the date to seek for some legal aid to be prepared for the hearing. I'll appeciate any advice.

Ask the clerk of court for a "motion to continue", fill it out and file it. They have to give you time to prepair for your case.

Lawyers do more harm than good in family law, and need to be held accountable.

You can sue your lawyer for malpractice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back