Criminal Law H1B and Green Card implications due to Misdemeanor Class 1 Conviction

Status
Not open for further replies.

chirayuved

Subject :
----------
Misdemeanor:
I am charged (and may be convicted) with Misdemeanor (Class 1)in Virginia for speeding /
reckless driving over 80 mph. The max punishable offense for Class 1 is one year and the actual sentencing may be 20 days or so.

I had a valid US license, I did not get into any accident situation and was not intoxicated while driving. My company has provided a very positive testimony too and wants me to comtinue with them on a permanent long term basis in the US.

I am currently on an H1B visa and my public record is CLEAN.

(a) I had a H1 transfer last year and I plan to go to India for 10 days in Dec for visa stamping and my marriage. What will be the consequences ?

(b) My company plans to file my GC in Jan 2006 thru PERM. How will this incident effect my GC ?

Anticipating an earnest reply. Thanks !!

reckless driving is not a crime of moral turpitude, so normally, if this is your only conviction ever, it should not lead to inadmissibility. However, you always would want to avoid any criminal record or at least try to reduce the charge, so I would consult an attorney.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back