gym injury - seeking advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

redraider

I was at the local gym. On Saturday's they close at 6:00pm. It was 5:52pm and I was doing squats on the squat rack. I weigh 155lbs. I was doing my routine workout. I was doing my heavy set (265 lbs) and was on my way down when they turned off the lights. It was dark and I struggled to put the weights back on the rack. I lost my concentration with the surprise of the lights being turned off, and I felt a sharp pain in my back.

The front desk was manned by two employees and the squat rack is visible from the desk. It is approximately 25 feet from the desk to the squat rack. I asked one of the employees why they turned off the lights. She told me it was 6:00pm. I showed her all three clocks in the gym said it was only 5:53pm. She said that the checkout clock punched 5:59pm even though it showed 5:53pm. She was pretty rude and said she was not going to argue with me. I left.

My question, within minutes of leaving the gym, the pain in my back has increased. If it doesn't improve, I think I might go and get it checked out by a doctor. I feel that if I go to a doctor, any expenses should be reimbursed by the gym. Is this reasonable? If they refuse to pay, do you think I can take them to court? They of course have the standard waiver that everyone must sign before using the gym.

Thanks for your comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back