Parole, Probation gun safe, conceal carry, roommate / landlord on parole...

Status
Not open for further replies.

NachoNinjaGnome

I recently acquired new roommates, one of whom is on parole and ownership of the home with soon be transferred to that individual. Now I know that he is not allowed to posses a firearm, so would that restriction apply to me as well since he is living here and will be the official owner of the property? Would I be allowed to keep my firearms in my room since I am paying rent? If so, would they need to be kept locked up, such as in a gun safe? Would I be allowed to conceal carry on the premises? Would any visitors to the home be allowed to conceal carry?

I recently acquired new roommates, one of whom is on parole and ownership of the home with soon be transferred to that individual. Now I know that he is not allowed to posses a firearm, so would that restriction apply to me as well since he is living here and will be the official owner of the property? Would I be allowed to keep my firearms in my room since I am paying rent? If so, would they need to be kept locked up, such as in a gun safe? Would I be allowed to conceal carry on the premises? Would any visitors to the home be allowed to conceal carry?

I suggest you discuss this with your county sheriff or police agency.

Generally, if you aren't barred or legally disabled from possessing a firearm, you should be okay. Be advised, if you get arrested, NO COURT OR POLICE OFFICIAL is going to listen to you say, "But that anonymous guy on that Internet legal forum said its okay!"

Finally, I wouldn't recommend people wearing guns in a home filled with strangers, ex-cons, and others you don't know. You do that, you're setting yourself and others up for legal troubles. You also seem to fascinated about owning, possessing, and perhaps using guns. You might want to slow your roll.

Thank you for your reply. And no, I wasn't planning on taking the word of any random person on these forums. I posted this, or a similar, thread on several legal forums. It was my intention to gather a common consensus before persuing more official inquiry. My roommate doesn't want to ask his parole officer because that may incite a more thorough search of the home. Not that they'd find anything as my firearms are no longer on the property, but it's just a hassle and a bit discomforting having a stranger go through your entire home searching everything. And if I were to get my CCW, then I WOULD carry wherever I went unless I was barred from doing so. Especially around strangers. And no, my roommates are not strangers and he's only an ex-con because he was once a dumb teenager who did some dumb things. He's a good guy and I definitely don't want to see him go to prison because I had a gun in the house. It's not about any sort of fascination with guns in general, it's about comfort in the knowledge of the added security. My neighborhood isn't the worst in the city, but it IS right next to some pretty impoverished neighborhoods, which makes for a higher likelihood that I will have cause to use my weapon. Now I hope I never NEED to use one of my weapons, but you don't buy a firearm with the intention of using it, you buy it in case the need arises. It's like having insurance. You don't purchase insurance because you intend to have your house burn down, get in a car accident or go to the hospital. You purchase insurance so that you are prepared in case something DOES happen. I was once shot walking to Quik Trip while minding my own business by a complete stranger for no reason other than he felt like shooting someone. They never caught him. Now, I'm a great shot and a quick draw and if I had had a weapon at the time, there would be three less gangbangers roaming the streets of my city. But, ever since then, I have not felt secure without a weapon and it bugs the hell out of me that my weapons are not here. Needless to say, I'm am currently out of my comfort zone.

Last edited:
With or without a weapon on the premises, the common areas of a domicile housing a parolee (plus the parolee's living/sleeping space - his room), are subject to search 24/7, 365 days a year. That's one reason many people won't rent rooms to parolees and probationers. It brings the EYES of the law upon their HOME!

With or without a weapon on the premises, the common areas of a domicile housing a parolee (plus the parolee's living/sleeping space - his room), are subject to search 24/7, 365 days a year. That's one reason many people won't rent rooms to parolees and probationers. It brings the EYES of the law upon their HOME!

Concealed carry laws are typically concerning the carry of firearms in public places. Concealed carry on private property or in your own home is not an issue. It is safest to keep your weapons locked up, but that defeats their purpose. It is your responsibility to know the laws regarding the legal use and carry of your firearms.
The parolee's status does not effect your right to own and carry firearms... just do not allow him access to them or keep them in common areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back