Group walking the streets of Texas with shotguns

Micky Tarsen

Open carry as an individual is legal in Tx on public streets. As a band of say 6-8 people, clearly walking together, is this illegal? Is this considered a unrecognized militia and/or armed gang by state law?

Open carry as an individual is legal in Tx on public streets. As a band of say 6-8 people, clearly walking together, is this illegal? Is this considered a unrecognized militia and/or armed gang by state law?
You ought to speak to the police in the area in which you wish to do this.

The DA would be a better route. Best route is to find a firearms lawyer in the area. Have a sit down with the lawyer and talk about the group plans.
I suppose it depends on if this group is looking to agitate, or simply go about their daily business. There is a difference...

Might be legal, but a stupid idea anyway. Too much risk of confrontation and misunderstandings.

"Mommy, what are all those men doing with those shotguns." "Don't worry Johnny, I'll call the police." Next thing you know your on the ground in cuffs, surrounding by a SWAT team while the police try to figure out if your group is a danger to anybody.

That you might have a right to do something doesn't mean you shouldn't temper it with some common sense.

6-8 people walking around with shotguns don't have any.

If the goal or effect of what this group plans to do is to intimidate or cause fear in others they'll have problems regardless of the fact that open carry is legal. A person carrying a gun still cannot use that weapon to intimidate others or cause them fear, regardless of open carry laws. I can anticipate this group coming into conflict with police, and legal carry or not, that might not end well for the group. Be smart about the exercise of your rights.

Back